Cal Lightweight Crew - Varsity Women's Coach (5047U) #27512 11/17/2019
University of California-Berkeley
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title
Cal Lightweight Crew - Varsity Women's Coach (5047U) #27512
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 8/20/19
California Lightweight Rowing (formerly California Lightweight Crew) originated from the University of California, Berkeley Varsity (Heavyweight) Men s Crew team in 1970. Since then, it has been the oldest continuously-operating west coast lightweight men s rowing program. In 1996, the women s squad was added. It is structured as a University Sport Club administered by the Department of Recreational Sports, run by team-elected officers, and supported by an alumni organization. In recent years, the team has performed exceptionally well at the regional and national levels, including gold-medal finishes at Western Championships, ACRA National Championships, and the Dad Vail Regatta.
The successful candidate will possess a positive, inspiring attitude and will be expected to steward the program through a growth phase with improved competitive success, retention and advancement as the core goals.
The coach will be responsible for co-facilitating daily practices for the women s squad.
Specific responsibilities will include:
* Work with coaching staff to run structured, regular, well-attended practices.
* Serving as the main coach for the women s varsity or novice team.
* Ability to coach student-athletes that may be genuine novices with no prior rowing experience.
* Analyze performance and instruct athletes in skills, techniques, and strategies in preparation for and during competition.
* Attend athlete recruiting activities, when possible.
* Assist with race travel logistics, including boat and equipment hauling agreements.
* Provide consistent email and social media updates on the team to the Head Coach for sharing with the alumni community.
* Comply with WIRA and University regulations.
* Maintain a professional and positive presence in the rowing community.
* Proven record of competitive success at high school or collegiate level
* Strong interpersonal skills and an understanding of human behavior
* Knowledge of current rowing coaching techniques/strategies
* Ability to establish appropriate and effective mentoring relationships with student-athletes
* Successful background check clearance
* 1-3 years of coaching experience (novice or collegiate level preferred)
* Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the stages of student development and the importance of a holistic collegiate experience with focus on academic excellence
* US Rowing Coaching Level 1 certified (or willingness to obtain)
* Knowledge and experience with boating safety measures
* CPR/First Aid certification, must be obtained within 30 days of employment
* Comfort using email and social media channels
Salary & Benefits
Stipend commensurate with experience and paid monthly over duration of contract
Not eligible for UC benefits plan.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Required Application Documents:
* Cover letter/letter of interest
* Resume with 2-3 professional references
Contract appointment ending 5/31/2020 with opportunity for renewal.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: