Clerk (Limited Term) - 7984 6/3/2020
University of California - Merced
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Hiring Range
Job Closing Date
Review of applications will occur as openings become available. Candidates will be selected for temporary employment in various departments as positions become available. This position is reopened every six months so please re-apply if you remain interested in the position. This position will close on 12/31/2020.
About UC Merced
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
About the Job
Incumbents may provide business services such as purchasing, inventory and stores, facilities and space utilization; and provide general clerical as well as administrative assistance to departmental staff. Work is performed under close supervision or in accordance with clearly defined procedures that require very little or no interpretation; performs the most routine and/or repetitive tasks; very limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; typically has no work experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions. Repetitive, routine, or standardized tasks are performed with little or no supervision, once learned.
* Responsible for basic data entry to established database. Maintain and update filing, inventory, mailing, and database systems.
* Transfers data or information to templates and standard office software programs.
* Assists in stuffing envelopes for bulk mailings, prints labels.
* Provides basic information about the department or location to visitors/customers.
* Answer telephones, direct calls and take messages.
* Maintains basic inventory of office supplies. Gathers and organizes orders for office supplies.
* Maintains routine calendar, schedules simple meetings, arranges for routine audio visual and other equipment. Makes and cancels appointments.
* Maintains files, screens, and distributes mail. Open, sort and route incoming mail, answer correspondence, and prepare outgoing mail.
* Review readily accessible and simple to read files, records, and other documents to obtain information to respond to simple requests.
* Operate office machines including but not limited to photocopiers and scanners, fax machines, voice mail systems and personal computers.
* High School Diploma, General Equivalency Degree (GED), or High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) or equivalent, or the skills, knowledge, and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position is required.
* Ability to learn University policies and procedures.
* Basic communication skills required in order to successfully fulfil the duties of the work.
* Discretion, diplomacy, and confidentiality is exercised in all areas of work being performed.
* Assignments entail specific tasks, unrelated but each complete in itself; or a series of steps which are normally repetitive and in a prescribed sequence.
* Specific instructions are provided regarding tasks to be performed, sources to be used, and products desired. Non routine work is reviewed. Guidelines provided are oral or written instructions or established procedures; and they are few in number or sources, detailed, specific, directly applicable and readily available. No originality is required.
* Incumbents are responsible for completion of assigned tasks in accordance with guides and/or instructions.
* Under close supervision, works entirely within prescribed guidelines and established procedures.
* Resolves routine problems by referring to established procedures or by consulting others.
* Exchanges procedural information with co-workers or immediate work group.
Background check and fingerprinting may be required.
How to Apply:
An online application is required for each position to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy:
The University of California, Merced is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu.
All employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule:
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/