Clinical Lab Scientist - Clinical Lab-Cytogenetics (CLIN LAB SCI) - 21274
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 4/8/2020
END DATE 5/4/2020
University of California
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Family
China Basin (SF)
40 ; 100%
This classification is represented by a union
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what s possible for the patients we serve a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as seventh in the country UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
The Cytogenetics Laboratory at UCSF Medical Center performs a wide range of standard and molecular cytogenetic testing, including various chromosome banding analysis, fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) and DNA array-Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP) for constitutional chromosomal disorders and cancers.
In addition, the lab is one of the few of its kind in the world that has the ability to perform advanced chromosome microdissection-based techniques to quickly and precisely characterize chromosomal rearrangements which provide insight into various conditions that other methods may not be able to characterize.
The lab provides analysis on prenatal specimens, such as amniotic fluid, chorionic villi and fetal cord blood; postnatal specimens, such as peripheral blood and skin biopsy; products of conception and cancer specimens, such as marrow and bone core.
In addition, the lab may also provide cytogenetics analysis for stem cells and other cultured cells for research and other purposes upon request and availability of lab resources.
Established in 2005, the laboratory is located at UCSF's China Basin campus. It is certified by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA,) College of American Pathologists (CAP) and California Department of Health Services for providing clinical testing.
Perform test procedures using molecular technique testing such as non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) and microarray in Cytogenetics.
Develop NIPT testing, perform routine testing, transcribe and report test results, initiate troubleshooting of instrumentation when needed, and provide general support for all aspects of the operation in the Cytogenetics laboratory while following established policies and procedures. Able to work in a high volume setting.
Dayshift plus weekend coverage as needed.
* California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License
* Bachelor of Science Degree
* The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Health locations
* Clinical Genetic Molecular Biologist Scientist License
* Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT) or related molecular experience
* Molecular testing experience in a high-volume clinical laboratory using molecular technique
* California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License
Living Pride Standards
* Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center s values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
* Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
* Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
* Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
* Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
* Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
* Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
* Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
* Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.
The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Health locations is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Further information about the University of California, San Francisco, is available at diversity.ucsf.edu. UCSF seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.