Clinical Lab Scientist Specialist - Clinical Lab-Pediatric Immunology (CLIN LAB SCI SPEC) 7/27/2019
University of California - San Francisco Medical Centers
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title
Clinical Lab Scientist Specialist - Clinical Lab-Pediatric Immunology (CLIN LAB SCI SPEC)
Mission Bay (SF)
40 ; 100%
Clin Lab-Ped Immunology
This classification is represented by a union
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what s possible for the patients we serve a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as seventh in the country UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
At UCSF Medical Center, our Clinical Laboratory supports the inpatient population of our tertiary care hospital, an Emergency Department.
We provide a stimulating and fast paced environment for Clinical Laboratory Scientists, with in house education opportunities.
Performs test procedures in the Pediatric Cellular Therapy Laboratory. Transcribes and reports test results (manually and automated). Perform procedures related to the processing, storage and distribution of cellular therapy products. Operates laboratory instrumentation & equipment to accurately generate test results.
Initiates troubleshooting of errant laboratory instrumentation & equipment as needed. Develops and perform quality control procedures, high complexity quality control procedures, and participate in quality assurance activities in the Pediatric Cellular Therapy Laboratory. Train Clinical Laboratory Scientists on the procedures, operations, quality control, and related theory of tests and instruments.
* BA/BS in a related science
* Thorough knowledge in the fields of Cellular Therapy Processing and Storage and in Immunology
* Good technical and teaching skills
* Ability to make sound decisions and good judgment
* High level of awareness for unusual or abnormal results and good problem solving skills
* Strong interpersonal skills and relate to supervisors and co-workers
* Excellent communication skills
* Produce accurate, complete, legible records of work performed
* Recent experience in a clinical laboratory setting that handle blood products using aseptic technique, knowledge of cGMP and blood product component processing and isolation
* The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Health locations
* Two years experience in Cellular Therapy, Blood and Marrow Processing or Genetics Laboratory.
* Two years experience in Blood Banking, Component Processing, or Transfusion service within five years
* Current California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License (Medical Technology) - Generalist
Living Pride Standards
* Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center s values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
* Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
* Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
* Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
* Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
* Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
* Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
* Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
* Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.
The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Further information about the University of California, San Francisco, is available at diversity.ucsf.edu. UCSF seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.
Return to Previous Page