Clinical Systems Engineer 6/4/2020
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW
Plans and evaluates network technologies to enable, enhance, and support medical device connectivity, integration and interoperability. Implements and supports medical device network infrastructure. Ensures transition to operational support model for connected and integrated technologies and medical IT systems. Provides device integration engineering services to medical and research areas including selection, acquisition and service, technical investigations, and clinical/technical problem-solving. May lead a project team comprised of engineers and technicians. Educates medical and technical staff on integrated medical technologies. Leads quality improvement activities and suggests innovative solutions to technical problems.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. With some guidance, configures, deploys, manages and maintains equipment supporting the network connectivity and integration of medical technologies including, but not limited to centralized patient monitoring, wireless medical telemetry, and EHR-integrated biomedical devices.
2. With some guidance, leads a project through all stages of its lifecycle. Works with a multidisciplinary team of internal and external customers and stakeholders to identify the needs, coordinates the purchase, manages the installation, helps organize the in-service training, plans for the handoff to day-to-day operations and documents the project.
3. Assists in capital equipment purchases and preparation of budgets with direction and approval from (CE) Systems Manager or Director.
4. Works with clinical, research and Information Systems stakeholders to
design, implement and analyze studies for new integrated medical technology evaluations and trials.
5. Supports security management process including risk and vulnerability analysis and related documentation associated with interconnected and integrated medical devices and systems.
6. With some guidance, works with Information Security to implement and maintain security of networked medical technologies minimizing vulnerabilities to both Information Systems (IT/IS) and Biomed-supported infrastructures.
7. With some supervision and guidance, investigates clinical incidents involving connected medical devices, prepares and files appropriate reports in conjunction with department Quality and Safety Coordinator, disseminates information regarding possible hazards and implements corrective action.
8. Works with site Health Information Services (HIS) to insure integrity, availability and confidentiality of data maintained and transmitted across interconnected and integrated medical systems.
9. Monitors network performance and operation to ensure optimum uptime in a proactive manner. Implements means to better detect and monitor issues with supporting infrastructure.
10. Collaborates with clinical and research owners of integrated systems to plan and implement coordinated downtime practices as needed, enabling scheduled maintenance and support.
11. Creates and maintains system wide documentation of integrated and connected medical technologies and infrastructure.
12. Maintains working relationships with Information Systems (IS/IT) functional groups and acts as a liaison between IS and Biomedical Engineering in providing service for new implementations and existing implementation improvement s of networked medical devices and systems.
13. Works with site structured cabling manager and low voltage contractor to implement new cabling and network closet installations and upgrade or improve existing installations.
14. Maintains a proficient level of clinical systems engineering expertise. Advises clinical engineers, biomedical equipment technicians and other technical staff as necessary in clinical systems networks, integration and infrastructure support.
15. Maintains knowledge of and advises hospital personnel of codes and regulations regarding medical device IT systems and integrated clinical technologies.
16. May serve on internal and/or external hospital committees and working groups.
17. Provides on-call response to administrative and/or technical problems related to clinical systems.
18. Occasional after hours and weekend work to perform tasks that cannot be done during normal business hours.
19. Performs other related duties as required.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Strong skills in management of engineering projects and/or personnel
Ability to diagnose and solve technical and/or system problems of a high degree of complexity
Knowledge of electronic, mechanical and/or computer reengineering design and applications principles
Knowledge of clinical systems architecture used for medical device interoperability
* Knowledge of the following technologies:
Server hardware and operating systems
Routing and switching technologies
Firewalls and security
Desktop and web applications
Strong level of computer literacy and the use of word processing, spreadsheets, databases, graphics, statistics, engineering tools and programming.
Human relations and interpersonal skills of a high level as necessary to manage an operational team in a complex environment under minimal direction, strong ability to interact and communicate with most hospital clinical personnel. * Demonstrated leadership ability.
* Advanced organization skills.
* Strong skill in technical writing.
* Strong skill in technical presentation and teaching.
Bachelor's degree in Clinical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related engineering field. Master's degree preferred.
* Experience in hospital-based clinical engineering
* Experience in medical device IT network and clinical systems engineering preferred.
Clinical Engineering Certification (CCE) * Cisco CCNA or CCNP Certification
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.