Cloud Services Developer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2020
END DATE 9/27/2020
Arena Technical Resources
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION Position
This position is in support of the NCEI Data Stewardship Division s Data Access Branch. The successful candidate will work closely on a software development team as a forward-looking cloud services technologist. This team supports:
- Maintenance of existing on-premise software that provides access to scientific environmental datasets and products.
- Continuous survey of the cloud services landscape to identify, research, and recommend emerging cloud technologies which will complete the lifecycle of legacy software systems by transitioning them to cloud or hybrid cloud environments.
- Work with ingest and archive teams to suggest cloud data formats which meet archive and access requirements.
Of particular value for this position is knowledge of cloud native file formats that convey earth science data values in ways that are more compatible with the cloud computing community than file formats such as netCDF or GRIB. This position:
- Is suited for an experienced professional capable of working with team members and stakeholders in various geographical locations.
- Requires attention to detail and following established processes to plan and support various projects.
- Requires understanding of technical tools and system architecture across various platforms, both legacy on-premise and cloud based.
- Requires the ability to translate and communicate project requirements to developers and operators.
- Requires a professional degree in computer science, systems engineering, computer engineering or a similar field.
- Demonstrated experience with cloud file formats such as Zarr, Parquet, etc. as well as traditional scientific files formats such as GRIB, netCDF, and HDF5.
- Demonstrated experience with cloud computing platforms such as AWS
- Experience with Python scripting
- Experience in the design and implementation of application stacks using cloud services, especially for the migration of on-prem technologies to their cloud equivalents.
- Experience with standard application programming interfaces (APIs) and protocols such as REST.
- Experience with micro services/service-oriented application design and development.
- Familiarity with version control systems (preferably Git) in a team development environment
- Experience using Linux and Windows or iOS operating systems
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- A professional, yet personable, demeanor
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Experience with Java, Fortran (especially for numeric array processing), and/or Perl programming is a plus.
- Experience with Python packages NumPy, Pandas, Xarray, Cartopy, MetPy, S3fs, and Jupyter notebooks
- Experience with scientific data servers such as THREDDS, ERDDAP, and/or Hyrax
- Experience with Docker and Elasticsearch
- Experience with Google G-Suite applications
- Experience with Atlassian Jira and Confluence as well as GitLab in a team development environment
- Experience with Eclipse, IntelliJ, or other IDE tools is a plus
- Proficiency with NiFi especially in a Java programming context
- Cloud certifications are a plus
- Machine Learning, AI, and TensorFlow experience is a plus
Position can be either Stennis, MS or Asheville, NC