Coding Specialist II - Outpatient - PRN (Remote)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/21/2020
END DATE 9/20/2020
UT Southwestern Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
This position is a remote PRN position responsible for coding outpatient accounts using ICD-10 CM/CPT, in compliance with Official Coding Guidelines, conventions. Accurately identify appropriate Reason for Visit, First Listed Diagnosis, Procedure(s), Modifiers, secondary diagnoses to accurately support medical necessity/CCI edits. Accurately abstract required data elements: discharge disposition/destination, procedure dates /physician(s), Occurrence Codes, other designated data. Identifies physician query appropriateness. Recognize missing/incomplete documentation. Validate chargemaster driven CPT codes. Maintain UTSW/Coding Quality/Productivity Standards. Mentor/train coders as requested. Maintain expert level of coding knowledge, guidelines, practices. Other duties as assigned. Deliver highest level of service possible by demonstrating the following: problem solving, ability, attitude, appearance, communications and compassion, and teamwork.
Experience and Education
* Preferred Bachelor's Degree or Associate Degree in Health Information Management and/or closely related field
* Required minimum two (2) years acute hospital outpatient based coding experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
* Experience working in a remote environment preferred
* Required for PRN Coders.- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Outpatient Coder (COC), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPC-H), or Certified Interventional Radiology Cardiovascular Coder (CIRCC)
1. Responsible for coding retrospective outpatient accounts using ICD-10 CM and CPT, in compliance with the Official Coding Guidelines and conventions.
2. Accurately identifies most appropriate Reason for Visit, First Listed (Primary) Diagnosis, Procedure(s), Modifiers, and all secondary diagnoses to accurately support medical necessity (LCD/NCD edits) and CCI edits.
3. Accurately abstracts required data elements including, discharge disposition, discharge destination, procedure dates and physician(s), Occurrence Codes, and other designated data.
4. a) Identifies when a physician query is appropriate for further clarification. b) Recognizes when the documentation is missing or incomplete and routes appropriately. c) Validates chargemaster driven CPT code assignment and routes appropriately. d) Completes review and final coding when query and/or documentation is available.
5. Maintain the Quality Standards set by UTSW/HIM Coding.
6. Maintain the Productivity Standards set by UTSW/HIM Coding.
7. Mentor/train on designated coding service lines as requested to ensure quality.
8. Maintains an expert level of knowledge of coding related guidelines and practices.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
This job is remote only and individuals who reside in the job will permanently work 100% from an alternate approved worksite.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents in lieu of stated minimums require prior approval of the Vice President for Human Resources Administration, or his/her designee.