Commercial Surety Underwriting Leader 6/5/2020
Westfield Insurance Group
Westfield Center, OH
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY BUILD YOUR FUTURE, WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective. Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield, you will quickly learn that protecting our customer s future is at the heart of what we do. We deliver on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens. Building relationships has been a part of our culture since 1848. Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, seek opportunity and strive for innovation in a changing world.
Offering a full range of commercial surety products and alongside a mature contract surety unit, Westfield s Commercial Surety unit is expanding and looking for the right individual to help strengthen its foundation for continued profitable growth.
COMMERCIAL SURETY UNDERWRITING LEADER JOB SUMMARY
Salary Range: $141,147 $183,491
Preferred Location: Charlotte, NC; St. Charles, IL; or Westfield Center, OH
Other locations in continental US may be considered
The Commercial Surety Underwriting Leader leads efforts for the profit, underwriting policy and practices of the Commercial Surety unit. Exercises authority to achieve profitable growth through quality risk selection and exposure control. Works with Commercial Surety Leader to create and implement both short- and long-term strategies to support business objectives. Promotes competitive underwriting position within appetite and ensures continuous improvement efforts. Serves as a subject matter expert for commercial surety.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
1. Oversees underwriting decisions and responsibly exercises authority as delegated to achieve profit through quality risk selection and exposure control while meeting or exceeding department service standards.
2. Leads development of underwriting appetite, product selection and best practices consistent with Commercial Surety unit goals and objectives.
3. Ensures consistent execution and adherence to established underwriting standards.
4. Facilitates resolution of complex underwriting issues/accounts and coaches/mentors commercial surety underwriters with the aim of enhancing technical proficiency.
5. Responsible for commercial surety portfolio management, underwriting audit and risk mitigation functions, including analysis and reporting.
6. Participates in rate filing, form language, marketing/communications, workflow and processing decisions for Commercial Surety unit.
7. Enhances strong agency and customer relationships, including face to face meetings, as appropriate.
8. Performs talent management responsibilities including employee selection, performance management, coaching, and development. Manages priorities and workload distribution and removes barriers that impede progress. Completes all personnel, salary administration, and reporting duties. Performs operational responsibilities that drive team performance including planning, execution, process improvement and best practice sharing.
9. Works with Commercial Surety Leader to establish budgets, ensure expense control, and provides relevant marketing and underwriting information to develop a business plan
10. Responsible for curriculum development and commercial surety underwriter training.
11. Communicates effectively in dealing with agents, principals, other agency clients, support staff, peers and all Field and Home Office personnel.
12. Serve as subject matter expert on commercial surety within the surety department and across the organization.
13. Attends industry functions to develop business contacts and market awareness.
14. Travels as often as needed to develop new business opportunities or enhance existing customer and/or agency relationships. This may include traveling on short notice to service customer needs.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
1. Minimum 10 years of surety experience.
2. Minimum 5 years of commercial surety underwriting experience, including profitable underwriting of mid-market surety and complex commercial surety accounts
3. Enterprising mindset with strong balance of both strategic and operational proficiencies.
4. Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills. 5. Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
6. Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including ability to effectively convey complex decisions, information and analyses. 7. Experience training, coaching, and mentoring others.
8. Experience building favorable relationships and successfully collaborating with agents and customers 9. Highly effective negotiation skills.
10. Strong attention to detail.
11. Bachelor s degree from an accredited college OR commensurate work experience.
12. Valid driver s license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
* Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc. * Ability to travel as required.
* Ability to operate an automobile within the parameters of the driving policy.
* Ability to drive for extended periods of time, under a variety of conditions, including night driving.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.