Communications Technician V
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2019
END DATE 10/9/2019
Enable Midstream Energy Partners
Responsible for the daily operations, maintenance, calibration, troubleshooting, and testing of communications equipment supporting supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) operations. Installs, inspects, maintains and troubleshoots communication equipment and systems for reliable collection and transfer of measurement and real-time related data to the polling systems. Performs RF and low voltage electrical work that involves transmitters, RTU/EFM, radios, antenna systems, tower infrastructure and other communication devices. Performs all tasks in a manner that supports the Company s mission, vision and goals. Ensures that the facilities are operated, within safe operating limits, and maintained in compliance with all company policies, procedures and applicable local, state and federal rules and regulations.
Performs responsibilities related to communications and telemetry support with standardized processes and procedures. Refers more complex issues to higher levels. Works under general guidance. Resolves questions and problems using principles of field. Refers more complex issues to higher levels. Follows established procedures to accomplish requirements of job. Able to handle some process deviation without direct guidance.
* Ensure operational reliability, integrity, and functionality of SCADA field telecommunications assets.
* Evaluate operations and make recommendations to improve procedures and guidelines.
* Communicate and coordinate field activities related to the installation, startup, and operation of new equipment.
* Provide technical answers and summary information to supervision and other technicians as needed.
* Primary first and second level support for Radio Frequency equipment such as MDS Radios, Licensed MAS radios, Licensed Microwave, Spread Spectrum radios, Cell modems, VSAT's, and network equipment.
PROVIDES SUPPORT TO LOWER LEVEL TECHNICIANS.
* Performs preventative maintenance activities and communications equipment and all infrastructure at tower locations and ensures data is maintained on all assets in assigned coverage area.
* Maintain site AC/DC power systems (e.g., solar systems, battery systems, low voltage disconnect units, uninterruptable power supply).
* Perform basic troubleshooting of transmitters and electronic equipment communications issues.
* Utilizes electronic meters to apply principles of electricity flow in the resolution of electrical malfunctions.
* Routine verification and calibration temperature transmitters.
* Understands basic troubleshooting of electronic recording devices (EFM) including, but not limited to communications and standard operation.
* Maintain existing databases, spreadsheets, EFM programs, and other electronic files used in performing job measurement duties, and work planning/documentation files.
* May install and setup a flow computer, sampling system, solar panel and battery, and radio communications system on a new meter.
* May perform one or more multi-skilled operations, maintenance and installation duties in addition to the primary roles and responsibilities listed above. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to OT network functions, corporate network support, telephony support and field technician support.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
* Associates Degree and 2 years of directly related experience, or 5 years directly related experience.
* Valid State Driver s License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Understanding of SCADA communication data flow and protocols.
* May be required to understand hydrocarbon measurement.
* Knowledge and understanding of SCADA and the communications systems used in the operation of meter stations, control of flow and pressure, and data retrieval.
* Understanding of Radio Frequency equipment such as MDS Radios, Licensed MAS radios, Spread Spectrum radios, Cell modems, VSAT's, IP addressing, networking and 2-way Radios.
* Knowledge of Gas/Liquid Pipeline RTU/EFM.
* Understanding of communications standards such as RS232, RS485, and Internet Protocol.
* Understanding of Protocol Analyzers.
* Understanding of physical and cyber security methodologies.
* Ability to repair structured cabling (e.g. copper, fiber, coax, waveguide) and associated connectors.
* Analyze and diagnose sources of radio frequency interference using applicable methods (e.g., repositioning antennas, removal of rust, retuning transmitter, and grounding) within public safety radio systems in accordance with Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations.
* Ability to read all types of documents related to engineering projects such as scope of work, project plan charts (GANTT), P&ID drawings, electrical one-line drawings, construction drawings and equipment manuals.
* Ability to perform advanced troubleshooting tasks on different communication equipment including Lease lines, modems, CDPD and Cellular phone systems.
* Knowledge of basic chromatograph EFM operational concepts, calibrations and troubleshooting.
* Experience and knowledge in troubleshooting and repair of all types of equipment pertaining to instrument/electrical trade: a) 4-20 mA signal; b) basic AC and DC knowledge.
* Develops spreadsheets and basic databases for analysis and record maintenance.
* Reads, interprets and modifies engineering and network drawings and Gantt charts
* Effectively use a personal computer with MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel & Outlook).
* Effective communication skills necessary to promote compliance with procedures and cooperation with individuals at various levels throughout the organization.
* Tests, inspects, operates, troubleshoots, and maintains electronic devices associated with communications for OT applications.
* Works and participates successfully in a team based environment to accomplish assignments.
* Operate as a self-starter with individual drive and initiative to start, develops and completes projects and initiatives.
* Communicates effectively with field employees, management and public, both orally and in writing.
* Able to exert in excess of 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 10 pounds of force regularly to move objects.
* May be required to lift fifty (50) pounds or more.
* Physical ability to work around and on industrial equipment, including frequent climbing, stooping, reaching, pulling, pushing, twisting, bending, kneeling, crawling and grasping.
* Must be able to move about unrestricted and follow safety and emergency response procedures and regulations.
* May be required to stand, sit and walk for reasonable periods of time.
* May be required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or crouch for reasonable periods of time.
* Must be able to move about on foot and follow safety and emergency response procedures.
* Able to travel long distances in a motor vehicle.
* Able to work in areas with limited access or cramped spaces.
* On a routine basis, may climb ladders, walkways and scaffolds.
* May be required to wear SCBA.
* Works in potentially hazardous environments.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.