Construction Cost Estimator 6/5/2020
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
Menlo Park, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY SLAC JOB POSTINGS
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is seeking an experienced Construction Cost Estimator to join the Design and Construction Services (DCS) team. The DCS team delivers facilities and infrastructure construction projects in support of world-changing scientific research at SLAC. In this role, the construction cost estimator will support project managers, construction managers, and engineers to provide design and construction estimates, utilize cost estimating best practices, and manage and maintain cost databases. The majority of projects assigned will range from $100k-$20M, though support is also required for projects greater than $20M.
In this position you will be responsible for preparing conceptual and detailed cost estimates; develop material lists and quantity takeoffs; track local material cost and construction cost indices; and interface with customers, project managers/engineers, subcontractors, and contract administrators. You will also be responsible for preparing budgetary cost estimates based on conceptual design and detailed cost estimates based on partial and complete designs for industrial and commercial projects, including all disciplines: civil, architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, fire protection, controls, and various facilities services. Perform consultant cost estimate reviews and reconciliation with other estimators to ensure rough order of magnitude estimates are developed in preparation for budgetary submittals and detailed estimates are completed for potential change orders.
This position reports to the Associate Director of Design and Construction Services, within the Facilities and Operations Division at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory.
Please Note due to COVID-19 related curtailment of on-site activities, the job duties for this position will be required to be performed from home until full site-access is restored.
Your specific responsibilities include:
* Prepare budgetary estimates based on conceptual design and specifications.
* Develop detailed cost estimates, budgets, life cycle cost analyses, and value-engineering studies.
* Review and reconcile cost estimates provided by third-party firms and other consultants to assure quality and consistency.
* Maintain standard cost estimating tools, templates, and software for the team.
* Develop and maintain project and service cost database(s).
* Coach other project team members on best practices in construction estimation to establish budgets and estimates for construction contracts and potential change orders.
* In addition to direct costs for contractors, understand and correctly apply cost estimating factors for markups, contractor indirect, contractor overhead, owner s contingency, and owner s project labor support costs.
* Perform life-cycle cost analyses determining the most cost-effective option among alternatives.
* Evaluate and interpret design drawings, specifications, quantity takeoffs, and developing material lists.
* Advise project management, engineering and other clients on cost saving measures.
To be successful in this position you will bring:
* Bachelor s degree in architecture, engineering, or construction management with 5+ years of experience performing the above listed duties or a combination of education and relevant experience in the form of a Master's degree in architecture, engineering, construction management or related field and 3 years of experience performing the above listed duties including estimating experience.
* Experience with project cost estimating in commercial, industrial, institutional and governmental projects.
* Experience with one or more unit cost estimating standards such as RS Means.
* Interpreting design drawings, specifications, quantity takeoffs, developing material lists, and developing cost estimating, budgeting, life cycle cost analysis, and value engineering/management studies.
* Experience presenting and explaining budgets, cost models and estimates, value engineering/management studies, life cycle costs analyses, feasibility studies, and construction estimates to customers and regulatory agencies.
* Demonstrated expertise in all foundational aspects of project planning and controls, including planning, budgeting, and scheduling.
* Extensive knowledge and experience with capitalization standards, earned-value scheduling and cost management systems and reporting.
* Facility project and service costing, particularly with experience in estimating for major trades and mechanical, electrical, plumbing subcontractors.
* Must have demonstrated ability to work with designers, engineers, and contractors regarding technical cost plans/models and cost estimating issues.
* Must be able to read drawings, blueprints, and specifications to determine construction costs, and compliance with budgetary and project quality standards and maintainability.
* Must be proficient in the use of standard cost estimating computing software and MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work effectively within a cross-functional team with diverse technical backgrounds.
* Must possess excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and have the ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
In addition, preferred experience includes:
* Publicly funded projects (state or federal) for industrial or laboratory facilities.
* Department of Energy (DOE) project experience on design-build, design-bid-build, and CMGC projects.
* Experience and familiarity with DOE G 413.3 Cost Estimating Guide.
* Experience and familiarity with the San Francisco Bay Area construction market.
Certifications and Licenses:
* Must possess and maintain a valid California Class C Non-commercial Driver s License.
* Industry certifications in cost estimating such as PCEA/CCEA, CEP, or CPE are preferred, but not required.
SLAC employee competencies:
* Effective Decisions: Uses job knowledge and solid judgment to make quality decisions in a timely manner.
* Self-Development: Pursues a variety of venues and opportunities to continue learning and developing.
* Dependability: Can be counted on to deliver results with a sense of personal responsibility for expected outcomes.
* Initiative: Pursues work and interactions proactively with optimism, positive energy, and motivation to move things forward.
* Adaptability: Flexes as needed when change occurs, maintains an open outlook while adjusting and accommodating changes.
* Communication: Ensures effective information flow to various audiences and creates and delivers clear, appropriate written, spoken, presented messages
* Relationships: Builds relationships to foster trust, collaboration, and a positive climate to achieve.
* Financial Acumen - Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
* Decision Quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
* Physical requirements and Working conditions:
* Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All staff at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. SLAC is an E-Verify employer.