Controls Engineer, Pilot Line Cell Manufacturing 5/6/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Role:
Tesla is seeking a highly motivated Controls Engineer to contribute to the design and development of new automation equipment and assembly lines for our advanced cell manufacturing equipment for our cutting-edge Tesla Energy Batteries.
The Battery is one of the most complex and challenging components designed and manufactured at Tesla. This is an exciting opportunity to build a world class manufacturing facility right here in the Bay Area. Tesla Motors is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on a critical subsystem of incredibly exciting products.
The Controls Engineer will also work with cross-functional teams throughout the entire lifecycle of the product and processes. He/She will work closely with Engineering (Design and Manufacturing), Quality and Production to bring the new product from initial design, through prototype development and finally into full production.
* You will implement and work on ramping manufacturing lines including mechanical automation equipment, robots, design of electromechanical systems, PLCs, motion controls, vison systems
* You will generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting
* You will be programming state machines for complex processes which involve multi-station parallel processing, pick and place automation, data acquisition, and PID control.
* You are responsible for managing Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA), implementing controls reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment
* You will be defining and managing a well-defined methodology for maintaining PLC code structure and back ups
* You will design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery and training technicians to reduce downtime
* You will manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic and fluid plumbing.
* You will create machine interactions with plant-wide Manufacturing Execution System (MES) to communicate product acceptability, machine status, and process variables.
* BS/MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent Majors in: Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation engineering, etc.)
* 5+ years of experience as a hands-on mechanical/manufacturing controls Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems.
* Advanced proficiency in programming industrial equipment:
* Ladder/structured logic PLCs (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, Beckoff, Omron, Siemens)
* Safety PLCs (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, SmartGuard, Omron, Pilz)
* Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI - AB Panelview, Ignition)
* Field bus Networks (AB DeviceNet, Ethernet IP, Safety rated field bus networks)
* Serial communication (RS-232) between PLCs and instruments
* Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems
* Proficiency in selecting/ integrating appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFD and servo systems.
* Preferred experience in programming Cartesian, SCARA and Articulated robots (Fanuc, Kuka, etc)
* Preferred experience with Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, etc)
* Preferred experience with semi-automated / automated manufacturing equipment
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.