Crossing Safety Specialist 1/29/2020
Moffatt & Nichol
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Moffatt & Nichol is seeking a Crossing Safety Specialist to join our Transportation / Rail group. Moffatt & Nichol is a national leader in transportation infrastructure design and routinely provides services to railroads, municipalities and state DOTs on rail infrastructure and crossing safety projects. Having won multiple state on-call crossing safety contracts and several national railroad client system-wide contracts, we have an immediate need for an experienced project manager or designer to assist with work on projects that are underway and ready to start all over the country. This role will work closely with our National Crossing Safety Lead to help implement projects all over the United States.
Duties and responsibilities:
* Developing concept and full design plans, coordinating with clients and stakeholders, and obtaining approvals on various key elements
* Performing field evaluations and crossing diagnostics to identify preferred crossing treatments, development and QA/QC review of crossing safety plans using MicroStation, contract development, and construction oversight
* Performing/Leading/Evaluating design where road and rail (or transit lines) intersect including hydrology and hydraulics, earthwork, grading, alignments, site development, wet/dry utilities, and permit processing
* Leading field teams and junior designers in various rail/transit and small roadway civil engineering projects
* Assisting with the identification of required engineering resource requirements, internal & external to increase efficiency of work being performed
* Overseeing of engineering deliverables to clients and keeping up with individual client requirements regarding submittals
* Managing input from external engineering partners assigned during the bid phase and overseeing the management of external engineering consultants during implementation phase
* Monitoring, tracking and reporting weekly engineering and construction progress on projects all over the country
* Performing various tasks in MicroStation is preferred
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
* Minimum 5 years of experience that includes:
* Experience with rail or highway construction oversight
* Experience that includes railroad crossing design, general roadway design, an understanding of general traffic principals and railroad operations
* Experience developing and managing construction contracts, design, and preparation of construction drawings and contract documents for all types of surface transportation facilities related to crossing safety projects
* Experience as a project manager or lead engineer on crossing safety or highway projects
* Experience with coordination between road agencies and railroads on transportation projects
* Experience leading plan preparation for large or small projects preferred
* Experience working within the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control guidelines
* Experience working with the American Railway and Maintenance of Way Association guidelines
* Experience in Highway/Roadway design
* Experience in rail safety, rail crossing, signal timing desired
* Experience with preemption and/or crossing surface/railroad crossing signal upgrades would be a plus.
* A working knowledge of Federal Railway Administration (FRA) and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) requirements
* Functional knowledge of crossing safety standards in accordance with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and the American Railway Engineering and Maintenance of Way Association (AREMA) standards
* Strong and proven abilities in MicroStation
* Bachelor's Degree Civil Engineering (or a closely related discipline) preferred
* PE preferred
* Strong written and verbal communication skills, and a proven ability to lead projects and teams
Moffatt & Nichol is a global infrastructure advisory firm of 800+ employees in 37 offices and 7 countries. We provide practical solutions to clients in the marine terminal, transportation, energy, environmental, federal, and urban development markets around the world. We are a multidiscipline professional services firm with specialized expertise in structural, coastal, and civil engineering; environmental sciences; economics analysis; inspection and rehabilitation; and program management solutions.
Moffatt & Nichol s EEO Statement
As a global business, Moffatt & Nichol relies on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goal of Creative People, Practical solutions serving our client needs, and ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil rights Act of 1964. We continuously seek talented, qualified employees in our world-wide operations regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, religion, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Moffatt & Nichol is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer/ Federal Contractor desiring priority referrals of all protected veterans for job openings..