DAS Field Engineer 6/6/2020
Boingo Wireless, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DAS Field Engineer
Boingo Wireless is looking for a highly energetic and customer-focused person with comprehensive knowledge of Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS) and Small Cell networks to join our Operations Team. This role will improve and maintain system performance in existing large-scale venues in the Chicago area with some travel throughout the Midwest and West regions.
This is a hands-on role requiring experience onsite in the field, working independently, to troubleshoot DAS issues. The Field Engineer is responsible for the onsite activities required to repair/replace equipment, adjust power levels, investigate issues, and collect data necessary to maintain the health at large DAS venues (airports, stadiums, & amphitheaters). The Field Engineer should be experienced in the following skills and requirements, have a get-it-done attitude, be a confident problem solver, and a team player.
Boingo invests in the latest equipment and technology, We have a healthy pipeline of projects. We offer competitive pay including a quarterly bonus, a Boingo stock grant, 401(k) match, and great health, dental and vision insurance.
* Available 24/7 to address system issues and maintain all aspects of the DAS installation at the assigned venues
* Collect and utilize post-deployment acceptance testing data to ensure design specification requirements are met, and the system functions at optimal levels for the integration with the carrier(s) macro network
* Perform, or oversee, system testing to include RF sweep and Fiber testing; PIM, and carrier handset testing/optimization
* Install, maintain, test, repair, removes or retrofits various systems and configurations
* Remotely monitor assigned venues to identify and resolve issues, including self-dispatching or contacting subcontractors to resolve issues
* Make recommendations to Sr. Management for capital improvements or system enhancements based on trends.
* Build relationships with service providers to monitor and analyze statistical test data to improve system performance.
* Benchmark testing and/or RF site surveys to evaluate potential build locations and performance of existing venues to include as-builts for newly installed systems
* Facilitate coordination with internal technical and cross-functional teams to support ongoing efforts.
* Perform additions and modifications to working equipment and circuits. Work operations/job activities may include:
* Addition or removal of DAS, Small Cell, and/or Wi-Fi equipment
* Rack and stack equipment in headend (aka core) and remote locations
* Running cable and wiring per job specification and procedure in Boingo equipment racks located in telecommunication closets or cabinets (MDF or IDF)
* Performs in-process and final quality inspections
* Some commissioning, optimization, and testing of DAS, Small Cell, and/or Wi-Fi Systems
* Manage subcontractors
* May serve as primary onsite contact to customer
* Ability to work with hand and power tools, as well as working knowledge of coaxial PPC compression tool, Cat5/6 terminations, and various RF test equipment:
* Anritsu Site Master
* Passive Intermodulation (PIM) Test set
* Fiber light and OTDR testing
* Requires strong technical knowledge of current wireless network products with minimal training
* Ability to work independently while maintaining robust communication with management regarding activities
* Record of safety, business code of conduct, and quality assurance
* LAN Layer 1 and Layer 2 basic troubleshooting abilities with basic Cisco CLI
* Formal Basic Installation training course is required (or equivalent on the job training)
* Ability to read and understand RF drawings from companies such as iBwave or Ekahau and blueprint construction documentation.
* Conducts work assignments, communicates, including direct interaction with venue or carrier customers in a professional manner
* Executes the essential duties and responsibilities to meet timelines
* 3 years of DAS or Cellular Field Engineer is required (must be hands-on experience)
* Familiarity with DAS OEMs (e.g. CommScope, JMA, Corning Mobile Access, SOLiD) equipment s functionality and typical performance levels is required. Certifications preferred
* Travel/Shift Requirements: Travel away from home for several weeks may be required on demand. Shift work required on demand.
* Physical Requirements: Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
* Ability to work outdoors, on ladders, and in confined spaces
* Ability to work with/around electrical wires and/or ESD products
* Ability to work remotely at construction or installation sites
* Knowledge and experience with carrier-based equipment common industry manufactures such as Ericsson, Nokia, SpiderCloud, Cisco, Ruckus, and Point-To-Point radio links preferred
* Certifications on test equipment such as Anritsu Sweep Master and connector coring or other compression connector suppliers
* Degree in technology-based focus such as Electrical Engineering preferred
COVID-19 update: Yes, Boingo is hiring! Through our vast footprint of wireless networks, Boingo helps the world stay connected to the people and things they love. Our mission is as important now, as ever.
The health, happiness, and welfare of our team current and future teammates is our top concern. Therefore, we re conducting our in-person interviews via video. Social distancing can prove the power of virtual connection. We can still get to know one another, while following the latest public health recommendations. So, connect today, and help us continue to connect the world with the people and things they love.
Boingo Wireless, Inc. (NASDAQ: WIFI) helps the world stay connected. Our vast footprint of Wi-Fi and cellular networks covers more than a million locations and reaches over a billion consumers annually in places as varied as airports, stadiums, military bases, and multifamily communities. The Boingo platform drives revenue through various products, including Wi-Fi, DAS (cellular), Media, Wholesale, and more.
We re an enthusiastic team, dedicated to growing our business by building amazing, valuable products. We know that our field staff is key to our success, so we work hard to stay connected as a team. We make sure our field teams are included in the things we do at HQ - from live-streaming our quarterly all-hands meetings, to our Halloween Costume contest, to March Madness, and trivia contest. We even provide gift certificates for lunch. We want you to feel a part of everything we do. In addition, Boingo offers an incredible benefits package, including health, dental vision, 401(k) match, equity, unlimited vacation, parental leave, and equity. It s no wonder we ve been named among the Best Places to Work in LA for five years and counting!
Boingo is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.