Data and AI Applications Performance Engineer 5/2/2020
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Id 2456
Oak Ridge National Laboratory's Advanced Data and Workflow (ADW) group in the National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) seeks a Data and AI Applications Performance Engineer to provide research and development support in the areas of data science including data workflows processing, machine learning (ML) and deep learning (DL) at scale. We are a leader in computational and computer science, with signature strengths in high-performance computing and data analytics with applications in a large variety of science domains and NCCS is home to some of the fastest supercomputers and storage systems in the world including the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility (OLCF) which operates the Summit supercomputer - the fastest computing platform in the world.
We are an inclusive environment that welcomes a diversity of creative, spunky scientists and engineers with an eagerness to learn. Specific areas of research interest include:
- Domain-science-informed data science. This includes applying analytics to deliver scalable science to missions of national interest. Machine learning and analytics methods with attention to scaling them up.
- Computational performance of AI/ML algorithms, including the ability to use bleeding edge and emerging computing hardware and software frameworks efficiently.
As a Data and AI Applications Performance Engineer, you will be an integral part of our team tackling the most challenging and impactful research in the convergence of HPC and ML/DL. If you are a highly innovative, self-directed individual looking to advance the state-of-the-art in large scale ML/DL on the leadership computing platforms, we would love to talk!
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with internal and external researchers on a wide variety of AI/ML research and projects.
- Integrate and deploy research in AI/ML workflows and algorithms on high performance computing systems.
- Perform scaling evaluations and deployments of data science and machine learning algorithms with applications to domain sciences (Basic and Applied Sciences, Nanoscience, Materials Science, Large-Scale Engineering and Design, etc.)
- Deliver toolkits and new capabilities that execute on ORNL's leading data infrastructures.
- Collaborate in authoring peer reviewed papers, technical papers, reports.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or closely related field.
- 1+ year of experience in high-performance computing and software development, outside of degree.
- Experience with at least one of the popular data science frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, Spark, Dask).
- Previous experience with Python, R or C/C++ in HPC environments.
- Statistical data analysis to evaluate data and performance results.
- The ability to work independently and develop and deploy data science methods at scale.
- The ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written forms.
- Flexibility in R&D assignments.
- Ability to collaborate with scientists, engineers, and sponsors.
Benefits at ORNL:
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
Moving is stressful and expensive, and UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.