Database Developer, Energy Efficiency Research 6/6/2020
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Requisition Id 3225
The Building Technologies Research and Integration Center within the Energy and Transportation Science Division (ETSD) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking early career applicants to work in the areas of industrial and building energy efficiency, software tools for industrial processes, and software systems in support of statistical analysis and modeling.
The primary responsibilities for this position involve the design and implementation of database solutions for small to very large data set needs. These databases will be utilized for statistical analysis and should be robust enough for live queries. These databases will be utilized in support of ORNL/DOEs missions in science, energy, building technologies, industrial processes, transportation science, and other DOE discipline areas.
Principal responsibilities include the following:
- Work within an agile process with others - including software developers, engineers and program managers
- Identifies database requirements by interviewing engineers and scientists; analyzing department applications, programming, and operations; evaluating existing systems and designing proposed systems
- Recommends solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, versioning, data back-up, and recovery specifications
- Supports database functions by designing and coding utilities where applicable
- Recommends appropriate database options relational, distributed, NoSQL, etc. given project requirements
- Works closely supporting principal investigators in their project needs
- Able to work either as a team member or as a solo database designer
This position requires a bachelor s degree in Mathematics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline. A master's degree is preferred. A focus on software engineering and a passion for producing quality software is required. The successful candidate must be a highly-motivated, self-starter who is comfortable working as part of a team or as a primary developer with the direction of a senior developer. The candidate must demonstrate a strong goal-oriented focus and excellent written and verbal communications skills. Knowledge of open source databases is required. Must be comfortable with Linux as a hosting platform. Knowledge of software testing and quality assurance is highly desirable.
Experience with cloud database solutions is a plus, but not required.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct: As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.