Dental Assistant 1/24/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Tracking Code
STG International is seeking qualified candidates for the Dental Assistant position to work full-time providing health care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSC s mission is to manage and provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The Agency is committed to providing healthcare services to protect the nation s health, reduce global disease and provide medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe apprehension, enforcement and removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous surveillance and monitoring activities.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Critical thinking skills
* Cultural competency.
* Integrity and honesty.
* Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
* Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education
* Graduate from a Dental Assistant Program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA), preferred but not required.
* One year experience as a Registered Dental Assistant
* Registered Dental Assistant by the State Board of Dental Examiners (SBDE) in the state in which the duty station is located.
* Dental Assistant National Board (DANB) certification is preferred, but not required.
* X-ray certification is required per state board regulations within the state of practice.
* This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
* Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers certification through the American Heart Association.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Knowledge of American Dental Association and Center for Disease Control and Prevention standards regarding dental care and related issues.
* Ability to perform four-handed dentistry and must have good finger dexterity and arm-hand steadiness.
* Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
* Knowledge and understanding of dental materials used in the dental clinic and the ability to properly mix and manipulate these materials per manufacturer s recommendations.
* Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
* Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
* Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
* Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
* Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
* Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web based training and communications.
* Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
* Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and or granted privileges.
* Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as appropriate to discipline and facility setting.
* Receives and schedules patients for treatment in dental clinic.
* Obtains and records information related to medical-dental history of patient; routes patients for medical services when required.
* Maintains dental equipment in a clean and operative condition at all times.
* Performs optimum sterilization and/or disinfection procedures including but not limited to proper instrument preparation, processing and sterilization, autoclave operation, maintenance and monitoring procedures to include spore testing as per National Policy and Procedure, IHSC Dental Health Services Operations Manual and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines.
* Performs operatory clean-up procedures including surface disinfection, waterline and suction treatment, proper sharps handling and disposal methods in accordance with CDC guidelines
* Makes preparations for general dentistry and oral surgery performed in the dental clinic by preparing instruments, equipment and materials using aseptic technique and protective barriers.
* Assists in monitoring patient for signs of adverse reaction to treatment.
* Packages tissue specimens and routes to pathological laboratory per standard protocol.
* Changes and removes surgical dressings and removes sutures as directed.
* Applies the concepts of four-handed dentistry to maintain a field of operation through the use of retraction, suction, irrigation, drying, placing and removing cotton rolls and shields, lighting, etc., during the following dental procedures:
* Oral Surgery
* Provides patient education per dentist for all types of post treatment care including specialized instructions.
* In the absence of the Dentist and/or Dental Hygienist, the Dental Assistant will provide support services to the medical clinic. This may include, but is not limited to performing vital signs, triage and other duties within the scope of dental assistant practice.
* Prepares health history and consent forms for dental procedures.
* Operates and maintains dental X-ray equipment to take intra-and extra-oral radiographs and maintains radiology certification and training per state requirement.
* Makes sure all precautions are being carried out so that the patients, as well as the dental staff, are receiving the smallest amount of radiation as possible.
* Maintains use of dosimetry badge in accordance with Contractor recommendations while on duty.
* Responsible for documenting all x-rays performed by the incumbent. Files x-ray reports and x-ray jackets in the appropriate place.
* Maintains an up to date quality control system on the x-ray machines and processor.
* Develops and finishes film when necessary; prepares, maintains and disposes of all processing chemicals per industry standards.
* Takes preliminary impressions, pours and trims models from impressions, constructs base plates and bite rims when necessary.
* Assist in maintaining daily/ monthly statistics and preparing reports as needed.
* Provides oral hygiene education.