Director, Advanced Engineering 6/3/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Reporting to the VP Product & Portfolio Management, the Director of Advanced Engineering will be responsible for developing relationships with sector technical and commercial leaders, developing a technology roadmap for the organization, managing the funnel of research activities, establishing networks of internal and external technical expertise (Corporate minded Research Universities & Supplier Laboratories), and managing test and analysis lab operations.The Director of Advanced Engineering will be an integral part of the Innovation Centers leadership team. A key part of the role will be to understand the needs of the business and stay on the front edge of investigating, developing, and implementing new technical capabilities across the research time-horizon. Examples of this include rapid prototyping, advanced computer simulation, accelerated durability testing, additive manufacturing, and condition monitoring. As Rexnord pivots to growth and places significant attention on innovation optimizing our engineering capability on a global basis is strategically important. The Director will play a key role in formulating and executing these plans.The Director of Advanced Engineering will play a critical role in developing Innovation Center associates and technical people across the organization. It will be a requirement that the Director of Advanced Engineering has a passion for learning, understanding, and integrating the Rexnord Business System (RBS) principles and tools into an office / knowledge work environment. This position will be located at the PMC Headquarter building in Milwaukee, WI.
* Establish business partnership within sector technical and commercial leads to drive meeting business goals and objectives
* Responsible for the accomplishment of research goals for the Innovation Center
* Proactively seeks Voice of Customer feedback from customers, sector and platform leaders to develop a technology roadmap for the organization
* Establish networks of internal and external technical expertise (Corporate minded Research Universities & Supplier Laboratories) to build & expand capabilities
* Key contributor for strategic planning and strategy deployment processes
* Provides accurate and timely data / updates to VP Product & Portfolio Management
* Develops team to become improvement leaders within the business
* Sets annual goals and objectives for direct reports and provides timely performance reviews to develop team
* Develops an environment and culture of innovation
* Leads ideation kaizen events
* Integrates RBS principles and tools into research, product development, and lab environments
* Manages budget and leads project justification activity
* Drives improvement to attain a safe, clean, efficient and well organized lab environment
* Trains, coaches and motivates subordinates with a critical eye for talent and associate development
* Cultivates Innovation Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
* Manages Complexity Making sense of complex, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
* Strategic Mindset Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
* Decision Quality Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Experience and Skill Required
* 5 or more years leading research and/or product development activities
* Expert level knowledge of Product Life Cycle Management processes & pertinent Stage Gate criteria.
* Strong business acumen with the ability to balance strategic thinking, with technical translation, financial hurdles, and appropriate communication and gaining buyin.
* Bachelors Degree required. An MS or MBA is highly desired.
* 5 or more years of progressively responsible experience within a lab environment is required, with at least 3 years in a leadership role
* Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
* Ability and willingness to travel up to 25%
Headquartered in Milwaukee, Rexnord is a concentrated multiplatform industrial leader with exceptional and trusted brands that serve a diverse array of global end markets. Every day approximately 7,000 associates across the globe work to deliver smarter solutions to our customers and create long-term value for our shareholders. Simply put, we advance the efficient use of resources by Solving Smarter.
Our Process & Motion Control platform supplies highly-engineered mechanical and digi-mechanical component solutions for complex production systems where reliability is critical, and the costs of failure or downtime are high.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran