Director, External Innovation & Scientific Licensing 5/2/2020
Ferring Pharmaceuticals Inc
San Diego, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB DESCRIPTION:
Ferring Pharmaceuticals is a globally recognized, research-driven, biopharmaceutical company with more than 65 years of history. Headquartered in Switzerland, Ferring is privately owned with approximately 6,500 employees in nearly 60 countries. In the United States, Ferring identifies, develops and markets innovative products in the fields of reproductive health (infertility), urology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, women s health (obstetrics/gynecology), orthopedics and Oncology. Ferring s US operations employ approximately 900 people.
People Come First at Ferring. The Ferring Philosophy places people at the heart of what we do. This guides our relations with patients, physicians, employees, and other stakeholders. We invite you to share our passion for people and the power of science.
The Ferring Research Institute was established in San Diego, California in 1996 as the company s center of excellence for peptide research. More than 80 people work at its state-of-the-art research facility located in the heart of the Southern California biopharmaceutical community.
The Director for External Innovation & Scientific Licensing will report to the VP & Global Head of External Innovation & Scientific Licensing. The individual will be an integral member of the External Innovation leadership team and a key driver to define and facilitate the execution of our vision and growth strategy. The primary goal of the Global External Innovation & Scientific Licensing Team is to enhance Ferring s opportunities to access new drugs from discovery to clinical proof of concept. The disease focus areas are currently Reproductive Health, Uro-oncology, Gastroenterology, and with an interest in the targeting the immune system and/or microbiome across our areas of focus. We operate as one team to access the best opportunities globally.
The objective of this role is to work with your local internal drug discovery scientists and therapeutic area Heads and the global external innovation team to identify partnering opportunities, predominantly in the US, and create partnerships with biotech companies, universities, charities and other funding bodies to access medical innovations intended for global markets. The candidate will assess potential opportunities from a scientific and business standpoint to expand the R&D portfolio via access to innovative product candidates, innovative delivery systems and novel drug discovery programs
* Identifying and evaluating opportunities for Global product in-licensing in the Ferring core TAs. The focus on innovative candidate medicines at the candidate drug level up to clinical PoC as well as innovative delivery systems and novel drug discovery programs.
* Establishing and cultivating relationships with innovation leaders in academia, hospitals, governmental institutions, charities, venture capital firms and biotech industry in the US (predominantly).
* Building strong network within Ferring globally, for example, with R&D Line experts and TA leaders, R&D Leadership, R&D Business Development, and to ensure an in-depth understanding of Ferring strategy and portfolio needs, and to build strong teams to evaluate and prosecute opportunities.
* Build strong matrix teams of internal and external experts to drive both the scientific and business aspects of opportunity evaluation and transaction.
* Conduct in-depth landscape analyses in the above-mentioned therapeutic areas through networking and on-site visits. Participating in academic and technical conferences to promote Ferring as the partner of the choice. Align search priorities to reflect existing therapeutic and technology strategies within GDDEI
* Contribute to the Leadership of the Global EI & Scientific Licensing Team and to local scientific leadership.
* Using a One Team approach across the Global EI & Scientific Licensing Team, coordinate scouting activities with existing outreach activities across the team and Global R&D.
* Working with R&D Finance, Global IP and Legal as well as Global and US Market Access / Research departments to build business cases for the targeted innovation licensing or acquisition. With the appropriate deal structure in place, and through appropriate due diligence, obtain management support through the ERDC Governance for the investment.
* In partnership with R&D Business Development, providing alliance management for projects by facilitating communications between internal stakeholders and external partners.
* Foster a culture of transparency, trust, high performance and change readiness.
* 10+ years of pharma-industry experience, with emphasis on drug discovery and early stage product development, ideally across therapeutic areas of interest to Ferring.
* A high-caliber scientific/pharmaceutical industry expertise with strong commercial sense and an Advanced Degree (PhD in Life Sciences), ideally in immunology. Business qualification (eg MBA) or equivalent business training preferred.
* A track record of successful interactions/communications with biotech, academic and other collaborators as well as with multiple internal and external organizations, with transactions experience (eg term sheets, constructing agreements etc.).
* A track record of managing drug discovery and early stage candidate drug projects with evidence of successful outcomes and business development activities.
* Proven customer orientation/focus and a demonstrated ability to work globally and effectuate change, with well-developed influencing and negotiation skills.
* Some previous leadership and alliance management experience.
* Clear sense of accountability, an ability to empower and influence people, and high degree of mutual respect and integrity.
* Detail-oriented mindset with strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to travel approximately 20-30% annually
We are proud to be an Affirmative Action/EEO Employer. EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
If you need assistance during the application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org