Director of Manufacturing 5/6/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Tempur Sealy International, Inc. is the world's largest bedding provider. The company develops, manufactures and markets mattresses, adjustable bases, pillows and other sleep and relaxation products. Combining a proud history and groundbreaking innovation, the company holds some of the most highly recognized brands in the industry: Tempur®, Tempur-Pedic®, Sealy®, Sealy Posturepedic®, Optimum™, and Stearns & Foster®.
ABOUT THE LOCATION:
Richmond, California is located approximately 1/2 hour north of Oakland, California
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting directly to the Regional Vice President, Sealy Assembly - West, the successful incumbent will oversee all areas of the production process at the assigned location so that approved products are manufactured on-schedule and within quality standards and cost objectives. This role leads the plant organization to improve the overall production process, product quality, cost outcomes, and culture.
- Evaluate capacity/forecast for infrastructure planning.
- Coordinate plant activities through planning with departmental managers to insure the total manufacturing objectives are accomplished in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Develop and control profits, plans, budget, and process improvement initiatives.
- Implement cost effective systems of control over capital, operating expenditures, manpower, inventory, wages, and salaries.
- Hire, train, develop and evaluate staff to include performance management, conflict resolution, discipline, and coaching. Ensure compliance with current federal, state and local regulations. Consult with Human Resources Department as appropriate.
- Manage the introduction of new products and formulations developed by R&D.
- Manage capital asset maintenance.
- Establish and monitor overall plant performance for production and quality standards.
- Control and minimize labor overtime, premium freight and repair expenses.
- Maintain existing plant facilities and equipment; replace or make adjustments to plant facilities and equipment when necessary.
- Provide leadership and training to accomplish the company goals and objectives.
- Provide direction, development and leadership to plant's operating staff.
Tempur Sealy is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type based upon race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
EXPERIENCE / SKILLS REQUIRED:
- 5+ years leading a vertically-integrated matrixed manufacturing facility (preferably consumer products). Management of production, materials/logistics, shipping & receiving, safety, engineering, quality and IT required.
- Experience with successful continuous improvement activities and lean manufacturing,
- Success in a highly collaborative interdepartmental culture.
- Demonstrated record of team building, mentoring and change management.
- Interaction with community, such as Board-member experience on local chambers of commerce, economic development activities, or charitable organizations.
- Previous experience/best practices implementing and using continuous improvement/lean tools such as; Six Sigma, 5-S, Lean Manufacturing, etc. to drive improvement.
- Strong leadership skills: Lead by example, assertive yet diplomatic, skilled in holding team and individuals accountable by balancing the carrot with the stick, communnicate long-term visions effectively to team, skilled at conflict resolution.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication. Presentation skills to diverse groups of individuals, such as CEO/Executive-level presentations, peer groups, community groups, and all-hands employee meetings.
- High business acumen.
- Highly collaborative by nature; although able to make decisions as an individual, is able to involve others for input, buy-in, sharing of best practices (offering or receiving)
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent experience