Director of Software 9/13/2020
VANTA Partners, Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY VANTA Partners' client is an award-winning startup building connected wearable products for the industrial workforce. The experienced team is backed by top tier investors and insurance companies who share our passion for better predicting and reducing workplace injuries, and protecting workers during the pandemic.
Increasing workplace safety in industrial environments is a massive challenge. We re not in this to be a cool startup but to have a profound and long-term impact on the lives of industrial workers that are key to our economy and our lifestyle: they manufacture our products, deliver our packages, mine our metals and build our homes. They deserve the best technology out there and you re going to help us put it in their hands.
This role can be remote or based in New York city.
We seek a technical professional to lead and manage the day-to-day operations of a growing team of 5 highly skilled software engineers consisting of front-end, back-end and DevOps professionals. You ll spend your time between managing and empowering the software team to do their best work, setting technical strategy and being an individual contributor. You will collaborate with other teams including product, data and hardware to understand their software development requirements and handle all tactical and strategic decisions to advance the company s technical roadmap. You ll be scaling our technology as we multiply by 10 the number of devices we have in the field over the next 6-9 months.
What You ll Do
Report directly to the CTO and have overall accountability for delivering high-quality software products and services. You will own everything software related in our company.
* Collaboration and technical strategy:
* You ll be working across departments to build a technical roadmap that aligns with company goals, while ensuring prioritized work is delivered on time and of high quality
* You ll be deeply involved in RFC and RFP processes to ensure specifications are agreed upon in advance for the most efficient use of software development time.
* Individual contributor:
* You ll be an individual contributor who has domain expertise in our tech stack and can take ownership of projects. Prior experience in Go and React is a big plus.
* You ll be responsible for deeply understanding our system architecture and technology stack to ensure technical debt is progressively taken care of for robust codebases and systems.
* Management and leadership:
* You'll leverage your leadership experience to create a high performing agile team, implementing best practices on technical design, planning, development, release, and process.
* You re comfortable managing small teams: personal goal setting, mentoring junior engineers, conflict resolution and motivating groups will all be part of your role.
Who You Are
* 7+ years of software experience including 3+ years of managing small software teams
* You re passionate about process, quality and efficiency, and leading a team of motivated and happy engineers
* You are a skilled software developer that can fit anywhere by quickly acquiring any specific coding skills as needed by your team
* Proven track record of building new software products from concept through completion especially in fast-paced startup environments
* You're motivated to deliver a great customer experience, and only sleep well knowing you've created a reliable, robust product.