Director - Software Quality Assurance 6/5/2020
Hughes Network Systems
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) headquartered in Englewood, CO, with additional locations world-wide, is a premier global provider of satellite solutions and technology services. Together with its major subsidiaries EchoStar Satellite Services and Hughes Network Systems EchoStar offers employees the opportunity to explore the boundaries of what s possible in the fields of engineering and the business functions transforming this engineering into revenue.
Hughes has an exciting position for a of Director - Quality Software Assurance. This position will be located at our headquarters in Germantown, MD.
This position requires a demonstrated, hands-on leader with the ability to collaborate with software development managers and engineers in all phases of the SDLC, including planning, coding, testing, troubleshooting, deployment, and ongoing code maintenance.
* Work closely with the Hughes business groups, engineering organizations, software development teams, and operations teams to continually evaluate and improve the end-to-end software development processes, tools, and testing methods used in the company.
* Lead cross-functional teams to define the software quality standards and metrics that will be used to evaluate the software development processes in the company.
* Lead the implementation of approved process changes, new tool adoption, and new testing method.
* Create a culture of continual improvement in the software development processes throughout the company.
* Partner with the software development leadership team to define the internal quality maturity capabilities & standards that will be used to assess the continual improvement of the software development processes.
* Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) to monitor, measure, and report on software quality and delivery performance. Utilize KPI performance to identify opportunities for improvement.
* Develop and maintain a standard software release scorecard to measure the progress toward software quality goals and objectives.
* Evaluate and compare the software development processes to global best practices to identify and recommend opportunities for process improvements, new tools, and new methodologies.
* Identify opportunities for innovation, reduced complexity, and proactive reduction of technical debt in the software development processes.
* Conduct root cause analysis (RCA) of critical and major software defects. Define and implement preventative action plans based on the results of RCA s.
* Identify, recommend, and implement automated testing improvements throughout the entire software development lifecycle to increase the speed, reliability, and manageability of the testing processes.
* Provide staff training as necessary to ensure adoption and effective use of the new ways of working.
* Respond to customer requested proposals (RFPs) for Hughes products and services. Specifically, collaborate with peers in the Quality Assurance department and the software development teams to develop the responses to Software Quality questions and risk mitigation plans required in customer proposals.
* Obtain and analyze customer feedback (obtained through customer meetings and survey responses) to identify opportunities to improve the customer experience with software releases. Examples of this type of feedback in areas such as documentation improvement, user interface recommendations, and configuration management improvement.
* BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or other technical disciplines.
* 10+ years of Software Development and/or Software Testing experience
* 3+ years in project management or supervisory experience
* Hands-on experience with a representative cross section of technologies and software languages used in the Hughes technology stack, including C, C++, PERL, Java/J2EE, LINUX, and Windows.
* Prior experience with waterfall and agile software development processes, version control, configuration management, release management, and/or software quality assurance
* MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or other technical disciplines
* Knowledge of established Software Quality Standards ISO and/or CMMI
* Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
* Strong written and verbal communications skills
* Exceptional self-direction, initiative, and passion to achieve objectives in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment
EchoStar and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. U.S. Citizenship is required for certain positions. EEO is the law.