Educator Clinical Pastoral Education
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 11/16/2019
END DATE 2/4/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
The Educator Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) is responsible for working with management on the development and implementation of curriculum for the four CPE programs, facilitating and teaching CPE courses, and ensuring content and deliverables continue to satisfy requirements necessary to maintain accreditation by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE). Provides clinical supervision to CPE students (Residents, Interns, Student Educators) as they provide spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, emotional, and psychological needs of patients, families, and employees.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 30 %
1. Fosters and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that helps to achieve optimal results. Promotes a supportive and positive environment for Houston Methodist CPE students, collaborating and communicating in a non-judgmental manner. Assists leadership in carrying out Houston Methodist mission, vision and values.
2. Provides group and individual supervision and mentoring of CPE students as they provide spiritual care support to patients, family members, and employees on assigned clinical units, when on call, when participating in patient rounds, discharge planning, support groups, sacred story groups and other multidisciplinary teams.
SERVICE - 20 %
1. Coordinates 24 hour on call coverage by the CPE students to ensure balance and meeting the needs of spiritual care coverage while also facilitating the learning of students.
2. Assists in the planning and implementation of department services and functions in conjunction with other department members.
3. Participates in the CPE admissions process and, in cooperation with the Manager, makes the final selection of students for the respective CPE programs.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30 %
1. Teaches and facilitates the various CPE units/courses. Prepares and leads seminars in pastoral care for CPE students.
2. Consults with physicians, clinical management, hospital leadership and staff to assess quality and safety of services provided by CPE students. Identifies opportunities for corrective action and improvement, providing recommendations, contributing to achievement of hospital and department targets for quality and safety.
3. Assists the Manager in maintaining the ACPE accreditation of the CPE programs. Assists with curriculum development for the CPE programs.
4. Educates and develops students training to become ACPE certified Educator, supervising performance during fulfillment of activities and job duties required for certification.
5. Ensures the accuracy and thoroughness of documentation performed by students in patient records.
FINANCE - 10 %
1. Utilizes resources effectively and efficiently, demonstrating responsible financial stewardship. Manages own time effectively and prioritizes work to achieve maximum results in a timely manner.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10 %
1. Participates in and may plan and lead various department and/or hospital-wide activities
2. Assists with special projects and serves on various hospital committees as identified.
3. Seeks opportunities to expand competencies in facilitation/teaching skills with a focus on continual development.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Master s degree in theological studies from an institution accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or equivalency approved by the Association of Professional Chaplains (APC) or Cognate (ACPE, CASC, NACC, NAJC), or ACCA or NAVAC
o No additional experience required above that needed to meet certification requirements
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Ordination or commissioned to function by an appropriate religious authority
o ACPE Certified Educator (previously titled Supervisor) or ACPE Certified Associate Educator (previously titled Associate Supervisor) by Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE)
o Prefer Board Certified Chaplain (BCC)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Ability to function as an educator at a post graduate level
o Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates various computer systems to enter and maintain CPE records
o Ability to work independently; capable of effectively handling challenging / difficult interactions,patient care situations; demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average communication skills
o Exhibits excellent interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team
o Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by