Environmental Service Tech - Part Time - Days 8/4/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
At Houston Methodist, the Environmental Services Technician position performs a variety of general as well as moderately complex cleaning tasks in assigned specialty areas to provide a safe and attractive environment for patients, guests, and staff. This position maintains environmental and infection control standards within established policies and procedures. In addition, the Environmental Services Technician position follows Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN) standards for turnover and terminal cleaning of procedure rooms. This position works with floor maintenance equipment and chemicals as well as handling and interaction with hazardous materials for appropriate disposal, conference room set ups and linen distribution, collection and tracking, as appropriate.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Interacts in a positive, professional manner with patients, family and staff.
2. Actively participates in meetings, huddles and with other team members using positive communication.
3. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit to achieve optimal results.
SERVICE - 30%
1. Responds promptly and positively to requests for assistance with directions and information from patients, staff and visitors.
2. Promptly responds to all assignments to create an environment that is conducive for healing. Communicates and documents any facility or patient related issues to management, as appropriate.
3. Performs efficient room cleaning processes ensuring timely patient admissions.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
1. Follows department process for room cleaning and discharge inspections, as appropriate, with the goal of meeting or exceeding HCAHPS cleanliness scores.
2. Achieves discharge, daily room cleaning and assigned area turn-around times, as appropriate.
3. During discharge activity, tracks, logs, and notifies appropriate management of safety and repair needs for equipment.
4. Follows policies, procedures, and safety rules. Corrects minor safety hazards and observes standard infection control precautions and complies with OSHA standards.
5. Performs one or more of the following:
a. Follows proper cleaning/maintenance procedures for all floor types utilizing equipment, as appropriate.
b. Collects, transports and disposes of solid/biohazard waste through proper procedures.
c. Follows identified cleaning procedures, which may include utilizing specialty equipment, in assigned areas (e.g. surgical, procedural or isolation areas, etc.).
d. Uses appropriate transporting techniques for clean or soiled linen and assists with quality assurance by examining, identifying and rejecting poor quality linen.
FINANCE - 10%
1. Appropriately uses and stores chemicals, paper goods, supplies, and equipment utilized during a shift. Reports, tracks and assesses wasteful practices.
2. Manages time effectively and prioritize department daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Assumes responsibility for growth and development. Participates in continuing education and in-service programs. Actively participates in EVS shared governance, meetings or huddles by contributing ideas towards improving the efficiency and effectiveness of department processes.
2. Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging coworkers in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.) preferred
o One year of experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Valid Texas Driver's License preferred
o US Department Of Transportation Hazardous Materials Certification within 90 days of employment (renewed every 3 years)
o Note: Current incumbents have 120 days from this job description revision date to acquire certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Demonstrates the ability to access information both in the department and within the hospital system to support the department as appropriate
o Multi-task oriented, ability to complete work within designated time frames
o Ability to accurately and efficiently perform duties with minimal supervision
o Demonstrate efficient and safe use of housekeeping equipment and chemicals
o Ability to effectively communicate in a manner consistent with a customer service focus
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) Yes
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Hospital-issued scrubs in OR environment as appropriate.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a