Experienced Environmental Scientist 2/19/2020
Oak Brook, IL
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Looking for a place to expand your career, where you can work with industry recognized professionals who are solving tough environmental problems? Geosyntec is the place for you! We are seeking an exceptional Environmental Scientist with at least 5 years of toxicology or risk assessment experience to join our Chicago or Oak Brook, IL office, where you will work on challenging environmental projects, including contaminated site investigation and remediation, human health and ecological risk assessment, and litigation support. Working with regulatory agencies and/or attorneys, you will have an opportunity to apply your environmental science skills while expanding the business skills needed for a successful consulting career.
Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR in the top 20 design firms for the environment, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Is this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? Some of the key responsibilities for the position include:
* Analyzing large environmental datasets, conducting statistical analyses, and preparing tables, figures, and other data exhibits;
* Reviewing and interpreting environmental and toxicological studies and reports;
* Conducting human and ecological risk assessments in accordance with federal and state guidance;
* Supporting remedial strategy development for contaminated sites;
* Allocating remedial costs and damages among responsible parties using historical source information and forensic analysis tools;
* Developing sampling and analysis plans for various media, including soil, groundwater, sediment, and indoor air;
* Performing environmental sampling;
* Preparing written documents such as letters, memoranda, proposals, workplans and investigative reports; and
* Assisting in the development of proposals and other business development activities.
You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will guide and integrate you into Geosyntec's culture as you kick start your career. Here are some other things you should know about a typical Experienced Environmental Scientist position with Geosyntec:
* Training: This position requires OSHA health and safety, first aid, and CPR training and medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional development opportunities including in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
* Fieldwork: Up to 20%
* Overnight travel: Up to 10%
Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual's own performance and initiative.
* BS degree in environmental science, toxicology, public health, or related health or environmental science discipline. [required]
* Advanced degree (MS, MPH, PhD) in environmental science, toxicology, public health, or related health science discipline. [preferred]
* At least 5 years of work experience in an environmental consulting or regulatory environment with a focus on site investigation/remediation, applied toxicology, and/or human health and ecological risk assessment. [required]
* Working knowledge of relevant federal regulations, especially CERCLA and RCRA. [preferred]
* Experience with implementing EPA's Risk Assessment Guidance for Superfund. [required]
* Experience working on legally sensitive projects. [preferred]
* Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel. [required]
* Strong oral and technical writing skills. [required]
* Current OSHA 40-hr HAZWOPER training and refreshers. [preferred]
* Valid U.S. driver's license and a satisfactory driving record. [required]
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE SUCCESSFUL AT GEOSYNTEC?
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.
WHY CHOOSE GEOSYNTEC?
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/.
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefits.
REQ NO: EXPER02332
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c).