JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY SUMMARY
Assembles and fits to drawing dimensions of all kinds of structural, plate and mechanical materials into all types of assemblies. Must be proficient in the full skills of the trade. Welds a large variety of materials. Welds in all positions with a high degree of proficiency utilizing full skills of the trade including knowledge of common heat reactions of structural metals, and is certifiable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Receives instructions, prints, sketches and work orders.
* Reads and interprets blueprints and plans the fitting operation.
* Directs and assists in handling and spreading of material, assembling material into required relationships according to detail drawings; handling and placing detail material in assembly, placing bolts, drift pins and other fastening deceives in proper locations.
* Lays out work lines or fits up jigs for positioning material when required; checks, squares, and scribes all detail connections.
* Responsible for work conforming to drawings and notes thereon.
* Cleans up material by grinding or chipping.
* Burns and tack welds for assembly purposes. Burns, copes and bevels and straightens material. Does minor layout.
* Spot paints for identification marks.
* Follow welding procedures.
* Moves material to and from the work area. Moves welding equipment to material when necessary. Positions component parts on a table held by a fixture or jib, tacking when required.
* Welds on ground level, above ground, and below ground, in any required position.
* Chips, peens and grinds material to prepare for welding or finish.
* Welds structural material such as plates, girders, tanks, etc., occasionally involving uncommon structural metals or machine metals under close tolerances of heat application and workmanship.
* Straightens materials by heat or flame. May perform scarfing.
* Must take and pass welding tests such as AWS D1.1.
* Keeps work area clean.
* Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED), and/or 12 months experience.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
* Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as blueprints, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor and other employees of organization.
* Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. All applications necessary to adequately perform required tasks.
* Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
* Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Must complete all company required weld tests.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. The employee must occasionally push and/or pull a maximum force of 200 ft-lb. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Close mental and visual application required to interpret drawings, layout, plan work, and weld. Good judgment in determining best method and procedure to be followed. Able to work on jobs while applying safety rules at all times.
AAP/EEO STATEMENT Schuff Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.