Histotechnician Technologist 5/6/2020
Yale New Haven Health
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
At Bridgeport Hospital, we are committed to providing quality medical care and treatment that is coordinated and centered on the patient's specific needs. We strive to achieve benchmarks as a Patient Centered Medical Home and provide health care in a setting where patients are at the center of their care team. All employees of Bridgeport Hospital are part of the patients care team and contribute to the team approach of promoting access, continuous, comprehensive care and work to provide quality improvement in the care provided to their patients.
Performs diversified routine and technical procedures. Exercises initiative and judgement to solve problems. Prepares and processes tissue specimens for microscopic examination. Inputs information into the LIS. Maintains equipment and prepares special stains and immunohistochemistry stains. Files surgical pathology blocks and slides. Has a working comprehension of the technical and procedural aspects of histopathology. Comprehends and follows Procedure guidelines. Recognizes unexpected results and instrument malfunction and takes appropriate action. Demonstrates laboratory technical skills to other laboratory personnel. EEO/AA/Disability/Veteran.
* 1. Prepares Tissue Specimens for Processing
* 1.1 Adheres to the procedure manual for proper handling of specimens, and quality results in other situations.
* 2. Special and Immunohistochemistry Staining
* 2.1 Maintains log of specimens to be decaled. Checks each bone specimen for level of decalcification. Wash in water and place in container for processing.
* 3. Equipment Maintenance
* 3.1 Cleans microtome daily of paraffin by cleaning exterior with an antiseptic solution.
* 4. Performs other related responsibilities
* 4.1 Assist in cutting room as needed.
* 5. Participates in continuing education
* 5.1 Takes initiative to update knowledge of and skills in new procedures, equipment, methods, tools, and techniques
Associates degree in a related field is with HT certification ASCP or eligibility
One (1) to two (2) years' experience in accredited Anatomic Pathology Laboratory preferred.
HT (ASCP) certification or equivalent or eligibility.
Extreme manual dexterity required. Excellent attention to detail, hand-eye coordination, technical, communication and organization skills required. Comprehends and follows procedural guidelines. Recognizes unexpected results and takes appropriate action.
Position requires steady hands and excellent dexterity. Extended hours sitting at a microtome are required. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to fingers, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. They are occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, or kneel. They must lift and /or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth, perception and ability to focus. They are occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.