IHSC York County Licensed Vocational Nurse/ Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN/LVN) 5/2/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Tracking Code
STG International is accepting resumes of qualified candidates for the LVN/LPN position to work full-time providing medical care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United
States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations
(ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States
Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors
comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services.
IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSC s mission is to provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of
ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The Agency is committed to
providing healthcare services to protect the nation s health, reduce global disease and provide
medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe apprehension, enforcement and
removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to
ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous
surveillance and monitoring activities.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and or granted privileges.
* Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as appropriate to discipline and facility setting.
* May be expected to respond to and or coordinate response to medical emergencies.
* Evaluates health care needs of residents and assists RN in the development of nursing care plans to meet those needs.
* Assists with gathering resident data during sick call and medical appointments.
* Obtains medical information on residents using pre-established questionnaire and appropriately refers abnormal findings or responses or stated medical problems to the RN, midlevel provider or physician.
* Maintains safety when dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazards of drug hoarding and trafficking among residents.
* Provide patient/resident education as appropriate.
* May coordinate health care needs of residents with healthcare team and referrals to off-site providers as appropriate for facility.
* Assures a safe and clean working environment at all times.
* Participates as member of health care team to ensure that needed equipment, supplies and logs are available, clean, functional and up to date.
* Provides radiological services in accordance with scope of practice and state licensure.
* These services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance i.e. digital single view chest xrays.
* Collect laboratory specimens as requested per IHSC policy and procedures.
* Administers medications and treatments as ordered/recommended in accordance with scope of practice and state licensure.
* Must adhere to practical nursing principals, procedures and techniques for appropriate patient care and take direction from registered nurses and onsite administrative personnel.
* Must adhere to medication administration guidelines, understand pharmaceutical agents and their desired effect recognize adverse effects and take appropriate corrective measures.
* Must appropriately document patient/resident encounters according to current standards of care using electronic health records.
* Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
* Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records as required by, and appropriate to, position.
* Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
* Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
* Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
* Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational
* Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
* Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC s Safety, Prevention, Infection and Control, Quality Improvement, Patient Education and other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to position.
* Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
* Other duties as assigned.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Critical thinking skills
* Cultural competency.
* Integrity and honesty.
* Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
* Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
* Graduate from an approved, accredited Vocational/Practical Nurse program located in a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory.
* Must have a minimum of one year experience in a hospital, medical office or outpatient clinical setting.
* Maintains current, active and unrestricted LVN/LPN license by the state in which the duty station is located. Any changes to license must be reported to employer immediately.
* This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
* Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers certification through the American Heart Association.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Ability and proficiency to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
* Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
* Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
* Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
* Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
* Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
* Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web based training and communications.
* Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
* Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
DUTY HOURS/ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS:
* IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
* This full time position requires availability to work day, evening and night shifts. Availability during weekends and holidays is also required.
* On-call availability is not required for this position.
* The Department of Homeland Security s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render a Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.