Infection Preventionist - Infection Control (INFECTION PREVENTION CRD 2-5) - 20836 5/5/2020
University of California
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Family
Professional Support Staff
40 ; 100%
This classification is not represented by a union
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what s possible for the patients we serve a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as seventh in the country UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
Involves the implementation of healthcare-associated infection reduction strategies for patients and staff through assessment and risk identification, researching current literature and practice, study development and presentation / publication, development, implementation, monitoring and reporting prevention strategies, routine and focused surveillance, policy and procedure development, training and education program development and collaboration with staff in departments across the institution.
* *Final level and classification of this position (Infection Preventionist 2 to 5) will be based upon years of experience and qualifications of incumbent hired*
* One to five years recent infection control experience, preferably in an academic medical center.
* Active Registered Nurse License (RN); or comparable license in a related health care field (such as CLS/MT(ASC), D.P.M., M.D.)
* Current Certification in Infection Control (CIC)
* Completion of advanced hospital epidemiology course, meets or exceeds all competencies of ICP III
* Bachelor's Degree in health related field and / or equivalent combination of experience / training.
* Advanced knowledge of the clinical and operational issues in infection control, including policies, regulatory requirements, surveillance and investigation methodologies, data collection, epidemiology, microbiology, patient care, and related nursing issues
* In-depth knowledge of data management, analysis, research, reporting, and documentation methods used in infection control, with the ability to contribute to studies, investigations, reports, presentations, and the development of new infection control protocols and policies
* Advanced organizational and project management skills, and ability to lead a team, prioritize tasks, and see projects through from inception to completion on schedule
* Advanced interpersonal skills, with the ability to participate in the development of informational materials, to provide education, training, and resources, and to develop positive working relationships with patients, families, employees, and outside personnel
* Advanced skills in written and verbal communications, with the ability to collaborate productively in a team environment with all levels of internal and external personnel, to convey complex clinical information in a clear, concise manner, and to make cogent presentations of research findings, reports, and analyses related to infection control
* Competency in Microsoft Word (create, format, save, edit using track changes, and print a document), Microsoft Outlook (create and send email, attach files, manage and organize messages and calendar), Excel (create a simple spreadsheet), PowerPoint (create, edit, present slideshows), enter, manipulate and extract database information, and basic descriptive statistics e.g., Chi square, frequency analysis
* Strong ability to collaborate effectively with management and staff across departments and to provide counsel and guidance on highly-complex issues of functionality, clinical quality, efficiency, and program development in all aspects of infection control
* The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations
* Master's Degree in health related field
* Active Registered Nurse License (RN); or comparable license in a related health care field (CLS/MT(ASC), D.P.M., M.D.)
* Current Certification in Infection Control (CIC)
Living Pride Standards
* Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center s values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
* Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
* Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
* Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
* Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
* Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
* Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
* Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
* Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.
The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Health locations is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Further information about the University of California, San Francisco, is available at diversity.ucsf.edu. UCSF seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.