Instructor Payroll Coordinator (4722C) - #8186 6/4/2020
University of California-Berkeley
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title
Instructor Payroll Coordinator (4722C) - #8186
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world s leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 15, 2020
UC Berkeley Extension is the continuing education branch of the University of California, Berkeley. Extension offers more than 2,000 courses per year in a variety of subjects both online and in the classroom. Extension s administrative departments and units include student records (transcripts), registration, scheduling, international student services, facilities, financial services, and the cashier s office. In addition to the main Berkeley center, it has responsibility for the maintenance and operation of regional centers in San Francisco (Spear Street), and Belmont and other leased facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Instructor Payroll Process:
* Coordinate all aspects of University Extension s instructor payroll for by agreement employee instructors.
* Process instructor payments initiated by various academic departments.
* Process One Time Payment Transactions for employee instructors using UCPath system.
* Prepare other special payroll documents, including intercampus payments - and route them for processing.
* Login all Instructor Agreements in Destiny each term and schedule payment based on class ending date.
* Using BearBuy, input data to create requisitions, which will generate purchase orders to pay Public Speakers and Teaching Assistants (guest speakers, tutors, etc.)
* Each pay cycle, post all instructor payments in Destiny.
* File hard copies of all payments.
* Research and resolve payment questions and/or problems including stop payments and recovery of overpayments.
* Secure written approval for all Public Speakers and Teaching Assistants (guest speakers, tutors, etc.) in any amount from Academic Directors and from Extension s Dean when these payments exceed $6,000.
Instructor Hiring Process:
* Coordinate all aspects of the instructor hiring process.
* Each term identify all new instructors to be hired.
* Send employment forms to instructors.
* Track hiring of each instructor to completion.
* Review employment forms for accuracy.
* Create an I-9 record in the I-9 Tracker System and follow up with the instructor to make sure Section 1 is completed so that Instructor Payroll can complete Section 2.
* Process transaction forms with hiring information to be entered into UCPath.
* Submit completed - Statement Concerning Your Employment in a University Position Not Covered by Social Security; Designation of Beneficiary form to the Benefits office.
* Advise employee instructors about University benefits and required withholding.
Other Clerical/Customer Service Duties:
* Work closely and communicate effectively with instructors, UCPath, Disbursements, and University Extension academic and administrative staff.
* Perform general administrative tasks such as filing, copying, data entry, faxing and emailing as appropriate and other duties as delegated.
* Record and monitor Developer agreements in an Excel spreadsheet.
* When requested by academic departments, process the payment for the Developer in UCPath.
* At fiscal year end, prepare the Instructor Payroll accrual spreadsheet for the department accountant.
* Train new and temporary staff to process instructor payroll and hiring as needed.
* Maintain strong knowledge of UC Payroll and UC Disbursements policies and procedures.
* Maintain proficiency in the use of campus business and reporting systems including UCPath and BFS.
* Maintain confidentiality while communicating effectively/diplomatically with diverse instructors, academic and administrative staff and managers as well as campus constituents in UCPath, Disbursements and Academic Personnel.
* Inform Accounting Manager regarding any Instructor Payroll and Instructor Hiring issues and recommend action to resolve the issues.
* Develop and maintain effective and efficient regular processes.
* Utilize tools such as DocuSign to streamline tasks and improve efficiency.
* Provide and maintain documentation on routine processes and procedures. Collaborate with Instructor Payroll team member and other Finance Team members on projects related to Finance team collaboration and process improvement.
* Other duties to assist the Financial Services team as needed.
* Detail oriented; accurate, and well organized.
* Excellent basic mathematical skills.
* Strong computer and data entry skills; experience in Microsoft office (Word, Excel, email).
* Ability to maintain confidentiality of all personnel data and records.
* Excellent customer service skills.
* Ability to perform tasks independently, with limited supervision; to prioritize workload with frequent interruptions under the pressure of payroll deadlines.
* Hands-on experience using financial, payroll, and accounts payable systems comparable to BFS, UCPath and BearBuy or ability to learn University-specific systems.
* Knowledge of or ability to learn the Berkeley campus-based human resource management system - UCPath.
* Experience processing payroll and accounts payable.
* Excellent attendance record.
* Able to lift 25 lbs. with accommodations.
* Use of general office machines to fax, copy, and scan.
* Must be able to work Monday-Friday 8:00 AM 5:00 PM (one hour lunch).
* 2-5 years of payroll experience.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a