Intern, Software Engineering
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 5/30/2020
END DATE 6/3/2020
JOB DESCRIPTION* About us
* K12 Produces Results
* Kudos and Honors
K12 believes in education for everyone. We provide families an online option for a high-quality, personalized education experience. Students can thrive, find their passion, and learn in an environment that encourages discovery at their own pace. In support of this, we are committed to creating and maintaining a culture of inclusion and diversity where our employees are passionate about serving students and families, treat one another and customers with respect, challenge each other to innovate and always strive to do better. .
The Product Development Software Engineer Intern will work with an established team to deliver leading edge software solutions that drive the K-12 education industry. The team will support and mentor you, but you will be expected to work independently and contribute original ideas to accomplish team goals. K12 uses Agile/Scrum as both a methodology and a mindset. Prior Agile experience is beneficial but not mandatory.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
* Collaborate with teammates as well as other parts of the organization to complete assigned tasks
* Design, develop, test, and document software to accomplish assigned goals
* Participate in team stand-ups and ceremonies
* Prepare documentation as needed to communicate and advocate ideas and report findings
* Deliver final presentation to team and possibly other interested parties at the end of the internship
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
* Currently enrolled in a Bachelor's or Master's degree program pursuing an IT, Computer Science, or Software Engineering related degree at an accredited 4-year college or university OR
* Equivalent combination of education and experience
Certificates and Licenses: None required.
Other Required Qualifications:
* Experience programming in Java is required
* Strong self-motivation and ability to work independently
* Excellent communication and collaboration skills
* Detail-oriented with good organizational skills
* Excited about creating well-designed products for education
* Passion for learning new skills and technologies
* Demonstrated record of turning ideas into working software
* Ability to decompose complex problems and solve them iteratively
* Willingness and ability to listen effectively, respect others' perspectives and contributions, and offer and accept constructive feedback
* Proficient in Office 365 and willingness to learn online tools & utilities (e.g. Jira, SharePoint, Confluence, etc.)
* Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, etc.); Web proficiency.
* Ability to pass required background check
Familiarity with any of the following languages and technologies is a plus:
* Spring, Junit, and other open-source libraries/frameworks
* Version control systems such as Subversion or Git
* Unix shell scripting
* Amazon Web Services
* Docker containerization
* Agile development / Scrum
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* This is an office-based position. The noise level in the office is usually moderate (computers, printers, light foot traffic).
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is "at-will" as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the "at-will" nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.
K12 is a Federal Contractor, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.