Platform Product Manager 6/5/2018
Harvard Business Publishing
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY THE OPPORTUNITY
Harvard Business Publishing (HBP) was founded in 1994 as a not-for-profit, wholly-owned subsidiary of Harvard University, reporting into Harvard Business School.
Harvard Business Publishing is taking a big step forward to further its success in engineering by launching a permanent, cross functional team called The Shared Platform team. The Shared Platform team is an agile, cross-functional engineering team whose mission is to modernize and consolidate applications and accelerate product development in a culture where engineers love to work.
This group is tasked with driving innovation across all HBP Product Engineering teams, and the Platform Product Manager role within it is a critical part of our Engineering strategy and will be a game changer for Engineering in HBP.
The Platform Product Manager will have three key roles: Product Owner of the HBP Shared Platform team, active member of the Software Architecture Practice, and liaison to the Enterprise IT, Software Engineering, and Product Development leadership teams as related to large organizational initiatives and projects.
1. Product Owner for the HBP Shared Platform Team. Responsibilities include:
* Provide clear priorities and detailed requirements to a cross-functional agile product team with 5-9 engineers, a scrum master, and a UI designer as necessary
* Prepare for and present sprint review meetings for/with stakeholders
* Create and manage the product backlog in collaboration with stakeholders across the engineering and product development organization
* Prioritize feature requests from customers and stakeholders
* Communicate effectively with stakeholders on product status and direction
* Own the experience of the product and deliver documentation for the project (architecture diagrams, API documentation, code contribution guidelines, etc.)
2. A member of the Software Architecture Practice. Responsibilities of the practice include:
* Develop and communicate a vision for the future of the Architecture practice
* Identify future trends in software architecture
* Align organizational strategy with technical architecture
* Identify patterns of inefficiency in current engineering processes
* Develop best practices for architecture across the organization
3. Liaison. Responsibilities include:
* Work with the Enterprise IT, Software Engineering, and Product Development leadership teams on work related to other large organizational initiatives and projects on an as-needed basis
* Leverage in-depth knowledge and understanding of technology to execute new platform initiatives, including platform enhancements, architecture design, and technical debt removal
* Evaluate and provide requirements/specifications for use of appropriate business processes and systems to support platform initiatives
* Seek and maintain comprehensive understanding of internal system architecture to inform development priorities
* Collaborate with a cross-functional development team and implementation work groups
* Anticipate resource needs and partner with engineering practice leads to advocate for appropriate team staffing competencies
* Understand the business deliver results and make a valued contribution. Understand how decisions affect other parts of the organization across units and regions. Maintain a strong customer focus, for both external and internal customers; applies cultural and geographic awareness and context.
* Demonstrate creative intelligence make positive, innovative contributions to move the business forward. Act on emerging opportunities; find new ways of developing and creating value across the global organization. Consistently display a positive attitude and remain future focused. Think two steps ahead and view change as an opportunity for the business. Overcome barriers and solve problems with resilience.
* Collaborate productively work well with others, share ideas and make agreements for the good of the business. Listen actively, no matter what his/her level or point of view. Connect across unit and cultural boundaries and influence processes and solutions. Is respectful in communications; sensitive to differences and able to relate to and interact with others who are unlike yourself.
* Demonstrate integrity and openness in all matters Model company values and act consistently. Take a personal sense of ownership for the business. Accept responsibility for his/her own actions; identifies problems and fixes them; take pride in his/her work, execute on both quality and metrics. Deliver good and bad news without hesitation.
* Effectively lead and develop people Lead and develop people and teams. Align team to the HBP mission and vision. Deliver management messages; provide context, direction, and reasons. Set clear expectations, and provide timely feedback, coach, and recognize contributions. Foster fun, enthusiasm, engagement, and camaraderie within the work environment.
WE WILL BE INTERESTED IN YOU IF YOU HAVE:
* 5+ years of digital Product Management experience
* Software Engineering background with 5+ years in software engineering
* Comfortable when speaking on technical subjects to groups of experienced engineers
* Can accurately articulate trade-offs to non-technical partners
* Can persuade and align diverse groups of teammates to accomplish a targeted goal
* Demonstrated ability to identify, prioritize and allocate work for a team of developers
* A proven track record of launching successful products and driving growth
* A proven ability to empathize and successfully partner with various stakeholders in a matrixed organization
* A proven ability to lead through influence, not authority
* Comfort in a test and learn culture
* Experience working in Agile with the Scrum methodology using Jira tools
BENEFITS & PERKS
We offer competitive salary, a comprehensive, competitive benefits package that includes a broad range of medical and dental coverage options; short and long-term disability benefits; medical/dental and dependent care flexible spending accounts; basic and contributory life insurance; retirement and savings benefits; a competitive paid time-off program, and Harvard (HBP/HU) perks. Located in Brighton Landing compound next to the new practice arena for Bruins and Celtics, NB Fitness Club Facility, and Boston Landing commuter rail stop. We offer free parking and shuttle services, discounted T Passes. Plus, early release, summer Fridays. And we ll equip you with the best tools money can buy..
Harvard Business Publishing is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. EEO is the Law.