Research Assistant 6/7/2018
New York, NY
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DESCRIPTION
MDRC is seeking a Research Assistant to join our Family Well-Being and Children s Development policy area. Studies conducted in the policy area examine how the developmental trajectories of low-income children can be improved through interventions in family employment and economic security, in family relationships and mental health, and in child care and early education. MDRC is seeking candidates interested in working as part of a multidisciplinary team blending research skills, knowledge of programs for low-income families, and strong organizational skills. Research assistants work under the guidance and supervision of leading public policy researchers.
The candidate hired for this position will play a significant role in MDRC s research on home visiting programs for new low-income mothers, including the Mother and Infant Home Visiting Program Evaluation and related studies. The position provides the successful candidate the opportunity to work on a range of organizational and analytical tasks, including:
* Management, monitoring, and evaluation support of various programs and interventions
* Assistance in all stages of research, such as literature reviews and choosing outcome measures
* Assistance in site operations, field research, and technical assistance
* Involvement in various stages of producing reports, proposals, and papers (working with authors to produce drafts; writing; preparing figures, charts, and tables; fact-checking; and documentation)
* General project support, including scheduling meetings and note-taking
* BA/BS in psychology, economics, public policy, sociology, or related social science field
* Demonstrated interest in social policy issues affecting low-income children
* Basic understanding of quantitative and qualitative research methods
* Excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task
* Comfortable working in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment
* Strong writing and communication skills
* Proficiency in written and oral Spanish a plus
* Previous experience working in a nonprofit or as a research assistant is a plus
The position can be based in either MDRC s New York City office or its Oakland, California, office. Some on-the-job training is provided; salary contingent upon experience.
When applying, please include the names of three references and a writing sample along with your resume and cover letter.
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
MDRC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. MDRC does not discriminate, and all qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to race; color; national origin; religion; creed; sex or gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression); sexual orientation; citizenship status; pregnancy; disability; age; military or veteran status; marital or partnership status; genetic information, genetic predisposition, or carrier status; prior unemployment status; consumer credit history; status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking; or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Legal work authorization is required.