Sr Compensation Specialist 6/12/2018
Laredo Petroleum, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY SUMMARY STATEMENT:
The Senior Human Resources Compensation Specialist provides expert advice and support for the company's compensation programs and supports management in creating programs that attract, retain, and motivate employees.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Performs analytical studies in a variety of compensation areas, such as internal and external equity, competitive pay practices, incentive compensation, and emerging trends. Recommends policy and/or program changes.
* Researches a variety of compensation issues and recommend solutions, policies, procedures, corrective action, etc.
* Performs job evaluation studies and job audits to include job analysis, creation of job descriptions, recommendation of salary classifications, and development of competencies. Analyzes and defines job requirements. Recommends appropriate grading of positions.
* Investigates and recommends solutions to pay inequities, and recommends the grading of positions. Presents recommendations to management staff and Human Resources, where appropriate.
* Assists in ensuring the fair and consistent administration of compensation programs across the company.
* Consults with operations managers on the development of job descriptions. Edits position descriptions for conformity to legal, regulatory, and company guidelines.
* Participates in the development and administration of annual salary program plans, to include analysis of market data, position-to-market, trends for annual salary budgets, pay differentials, salary increase project plan, communications, and instructions for processing pay and promotional increases, etc.
* Designs, develops and administers special compensation programs, job evaluation studies, etc.
* Reviews and recommends the approval of a variety of compensation actions, such as promotions, above guidelines job offers, off cycle pay increases, etc.
* Maintains all applicable compensation information in HR Information System to ensure data integrity and accuracy. Team member for software implementation or software upgrade projects.
* Acts as backup on processes and systems such as Ultimate Software and Fidelity Equity System.
* Prepares information and presentations as needed to support Compensation Committee Meetings for the Board of Directors for executive compensation pay and incentive programs.
* Performs other duties as required. These duties may include assignments in job classifications other than the primary assignment.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Bachelor's Degree in Business or other appropriate discipline from an accredited four-year college or university. A combination of education, experience and training may be substituted for this requirement.
* Good organizational and planning skills and the ability to work as a team to meet strict guidelines.
* Strong analytical, problem solving, and decision making skills.
* Solid understanding of compensation practices.
* Requires a minimum of seven (7) years of compensation administration and pay and incentive design experience.
* Experience and general knowledge of other human resources areas required.
* Working experience and understanding of FLSA, ADA, and EEOC laws and regulations required.
* Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software products, advanced knowledge of Excel preferred.
* Ability to retrieve, organize and analyze data using human resources information systems, databases and spreadsheets.
* Experience in implementing an HRIS system would be beneficial, Ultimate Software preferred.
CORE COMPETENCIES :
* Decision Quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
* Ensures Accountability - Holding self and other accountable to meet commitments.
* Collaborates - Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
* Instills Trust - Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
* Being Resilient - Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES :
* Tech Savvy - Anticipating and adopting innovations in business-building digital and technology applicants.
* Action Oriented - Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
* Interpersonal Savvy - Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
* Persuades - Using compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
* Self-Development - Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
WORKING CONDITIONS :
This position is primarily an office position where work is normally performed in a climate controlled environment. Travel to all Laredo office and field locations is required. When at field locations, work is normally performed outdoors where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, fumes and gases is common. Noise level is moderate to loud and includes sounds of construction, equipment operations, and trucks and like equipment. When at field locations, job hazards include working around heavy truck traffic, drilling activities and pressured equipment and under all weather conditions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS :
Work will require domestic travel. Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboard at moderate skill level. Work will primarily involve normal office activities, but may require some standing and walking at field locations. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information.