Assistant Director of Finance and Accounting 6/16/2018
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW
MPR is a multi-discipline, specialty engineering and consulting firm founded in 1964 and headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia. MPR makes challenging projects successful, delivering safe and reliable technical solutions across the entire project or product life-cycle to benefit our clients and society as a whole. MPR provides high quality services to the Power (including Nuclear), Federal, Health & Life Science and Consumer Products industries.
MPR's highly motivated, talented, and innovative employees value interesting and challenging technical work as well as a desire for continuous learning. As MPR continues to grow, we seek individuals with an interest in expanding their technical, leadership, and business capabilities.
General Job Description
MPR is seeking a capable and ambitious professional to join the Finance and Accounting Leadership Team. This individual will take a leadership role in the preparation and review of company financials. The successful candidate will take primary responsibility for the preparing of company financials, applying expertise across the entire department, supervising and providing leadership to department personnel, as well as working closely with and as a primary backup for the Director of Finance and Accounting. This is a full-time exempt position located in our Alexandria, VA office.
Our internal Finance and Accounting Department handles the following:
* Posts transactions and maintains a general ledger
* Sets up and maintains project-specific accounts for financial information
* Manages processes to record time and expenses
* Prepares reports for project managers to financially monitor their projects
* Prepares and issues invoices to customers, tracks accounts receivable and processes collections
* Handles accounts-payable and prepares payments for amounts due
* Generates and transmits data for payroll implementation through a third party
* Interfaces with an outside accounting firm who conducts an annual independent audit and provides tax preparation assistance
* Maintains business licenses and fulfills other compliance items
The Assistant Director of Finance and Accounting will be primarily responsible for:
* Analysis of financial information including processes to generate custom reports
* Procurement and accounts payable
* Management of the relationship with MPR s bank
* Supervision of Finance and Accounting Department personnel
* Preparing and delivering training to accounting staff on accounting methods and software use
* Assisting with the establishment of policies, procedures and controls for the Finance and Accounting Department, while monitoring employee compliance
* Interfacing with business division leaders to understand special needs and demands, and to find and implement solutions to address the needs
* Bachelor s degree or higher in Accounting (preferred) or a related field. CPA preferred.
* Eight (8) years of experience in business accounting preferred
* Two (2) years of supervisory experience preferred
* Experience working in a professional services firm preferred
* Experience working with an enterprise accounting software system. Experience with Deltek Vision is preferred.
The successful candidate will have the ability to:
* Lead others in completing tasks and help others develop increased competency and performance
* Implement a general ledger, structure and reconcile accounts, and prepare statements
* Summarize and present financial information to both financial and non-financial audiences
* Communicate effectively with business division leaders and ensure that efforts respond to their needs and satisfy requirements
* Identify and implement solutions to problems or challenges
* Be personally accountable and respectfully hold others accountable
* Apply a strong understanding of accounting fundamentals and of accounting standards including GAAP and relevant FASB standards, as well as state, county and city revenue and other reporting requirements in various jurisdictions
* Ability to keep sensitive information confidential
* Motivated to tackle new problems and take on new responsibilities
* Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
* Persistent, questioning attitude and ability to accept that in others
MPR Associates, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, who participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran s status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other classification as required by applicable law.