Summer Member Organizer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 6/16/2018
END DATE 8/15/2018
Massachusetts Teachers Association
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Massachusetts Teachers Association (MTA) is a union, dedicated to improving the workplace and the quality of life for all education employees and to protecting their hard-won rights. Equally important, we are an association of highly qualified professionals, committed to establishing and maintaining optimal conditions for student learning from preschool through graduate school.
The Higher Education Division is seeking qualified applicants for the position of SUMMER MEMBER ORGANIZER who will carry out the MTA summer organizing plan.. Our ideal candidate will contact, educate and engage members over the summer months. THIS IS A 4-5 WEEK PROGRAM that includes home visits, campus visits and phone banking to engage in intentional conversations with the workers in community colleges who are represented by our local union, the Massachusetts Community College Council (MCCC). The goals of the conversations are to invite nonmembers to join as members, and get involved.
The successful candidates will receive ongoing training, and will apply the organizing skills that they ve learned to assist in the orientation of new members within their locals, and to build a stronger, resilient union. Candidates will be selected to fill one slot at each of the 15 community colleges.
THE DUTIES FOR THIS POSITION INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
* Work with Higher Ed leaders and staff to implement the organizing plan in their assigned area, with accountability to goals and metrics.
* Activities will include home visits, canvassing (door knocking), phone banking, campus visits.
* Member organizers will ask nonmembers to join and get involved, and will report back on important issues and potential union activism.
* Meet daily reporting, record-keeping and data entry deadlines.
* Participate in regular reporting conference calls.
* Member organizers are expected to take the skills they acquire as part of the summer program and apply those experiences to organizing work in their local unions; specifically including the orientation of new members, and fall semester kick-off activities and other activities as developed by MCCC.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THE ROLE YOU WILL NEED:
* Current MTA member of MCCC
* Commitment to the successful implementation of the MTA ALL IN Plan
* Prior organizing experience preferred
* Strong interpersonal communication skills (ability as a good listener)
* Ability to collaborate as a member of a team to learn from each other
* Willingness to learn organizing techniques and technology (such as a smart phone)
* Self-motivated with attention to detail and responsible follow through
* Ability to identify and discuss member issues
* Reliable personal transportation and a valid driver s license
This position is a non-benefit eligible seasonal position. The compensation for this position is $500/week. The expectation of a work week of approximately 20 hours. Work schedule will be determined in consultation with the MCCC leaders and assigned MTA field staff. Schedules will vary based on the area, and some weekend work is expected.
Mileage for approved assignments will be reimbursed.The position is covered by workers compensation insurance, but there are no additional benefits for the position. An initial training and ongoing leadership and skills development is included in the paid work hours.
MTA is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity. We strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.