Planning/Purchasing Specialist 7/12/2018
Tri Tool Inc
Rancho Cordova, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY POSITION SUMMARY
The Planning/Purchasing Specialist will function as a liaison between the Planning/Purchasing departments and
outside vendors to ensure effective operational planning and support. The position will have responsibilities in both
departments to provide efficient resources, raw materials, and department back-up. This position will work closely
with the production control manager and purchasing manager as well as outside vendors to manage contract work
and cost control. This is a fulltime hourly position located in Rancho Cordova, CA that reports to the Purchasing
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Completes all duties and responsibilities in adherence with Tri Tool's core values
Vendor Management Under the supervision of the Purchasing Manager: Responsible for being the point of contact
and managing outsourced manufacturing. Identify the requirement / suitability criteria for parts to be outsourced.
Interpret, field and communicate questions from vendors. Negotiate terms to obtain best possible prices and
services. Collaborate with engineering, planning, and purchasing to identify most appropriate materials.
Review Tri Tool unit cost as a basis of comparison for outside manufacturing. Research and identify suitable
vendors assist with qualifying machining shops including in-person visits as appropriate. Review vendors with P/P
Managers and select vendors with focus on quality product, significant cost reductions, and most reliable delivery
times. Maintain non-disclosure agreements with vendors. Negotiate and obtain quotes. Monitor vendor timelines,
order status and facilitate vendor inquiries. Track delivery and confirm with QC that parts are complete and correct
prior to closing out order. Establish and maintain a vendor rating system focused on building reliable and cost
Purchasing Department Under the supervision of the Purchasing Manager the specialist will be responsible for
learning core purchasing functions to provide assistance and backup to the Purchasing Manager and Purchasing
Coordinator during an absence or when additional help is needed. The Specialist will provide direct support of the
Purchasing Manager functions.
Planning Department Under the supervision of the Production Control Manager the specialist will be responsible
for providing direct support and back up to the department manager with a focus on Planning support functions.
Position will provide occasional backup to include the core duties of the Production Planner/Expeditor when
assistance is needed during an absence or high production events.
* Responsible for understanding routings and maintaining accurate data in Syteline, Tri Tool s ERP system.
* Driver; pick up and deliver material/products for the shop and purchasing department upon request
* Assists with quarterly and annual physical inventory and reconciling variances
* Maintains a safe and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with State,
* Federal, and Company safety regulations.
* Effectively communicates with coworkers across departments to support efficient production.
* Performs other work in related duties as assigned to ensure a highly maintained and safe department.
* High School Diploma or GED; College degree highly preferred in related field
* 3 to 5 years of direct experience in Purchasing, Supply Chain Management, or Manufacturing/Engineering.
* Experience/knowledge in raw material selection
* Highly organized with demonstrated high proficiency in ERP systems
* Experience or ability to operate equipment such as Forklifts
* Experience in lean/continuous improvement concepts is strongly desired.
* Valid Driver license with clean driving record required to operate company vehicles
* Must be authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
* Strong oral and written communication skills to work and communicate effectively with all levels of co-workers,
* clients, and other external contacts
* Strong analytical skills, problem solving skills, detail-orientation and negotiating skills
* Knowledge of ERP purchasing, materials and supply chain functions
* Ability to learn/manage the entire Procure to Pay process
* Strong professional interpersonal and leadership skills, driven, self-managed and results-oriented
* Ability to forge internal colleague and external supplier relationships
* Ability to comply with existing processes, help identify and adapt quickly to new processes
* Effective communication skills and ethical standards to articulate, enforce, and adhere to policies and
* Knowledge of MS Office applications; with advanced level proficiency in Microsoft Excel; ability to write and
* update complex formulas, build macros, and present numerical data in visual formats such as charts and pivot
* Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability in making good decisions
* Team player with strong customer-focus and ability to build and maintain internal and external relationships
* Able to effectively manage time and prioritize tasks in order to meet established deadlines
* Willingness to listen and learn, then express ideas for improvement
Work is primarily conducted in a semi-private office/cubicle setting and requires interaction in the production shop
environment. The noise level is mild in the office. The production shop environment may have a moderate to loud
noise level and requires use of Personal Protective Equipment. Interaction with other employees, as well as
supervisors, and vendor personnel. The warehouse is climate controlled; the temperature fluctuates with the
seasons. Exterior work areas may include; outdoor storage, or shipping/receiving dock. Exterior environment is
consistent with seasonal weather conditions of the local area.
Must be able to use office equipment such as computers, multi-line phones, scanners, copiers, and paper cutters.
Must be able to safely use or operate equipment, to include; hand trucks, pallet jacks, forklifts, and vehicles.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Position must be able to move around the production/manufacturing
shop in a safe manner. Must be able to lift/move up to 50 pounds without assistance; Lifting/Moving anything over
50 pounds must be assisted. Must be able to wear safety equipment as required for personal protection. While
performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is
required to sit, stand; stoop, squat, walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Tri Tool Inc. has been a globally recognized world leader in the design and manufacture of precision portable machine
tools for purchase or rental, domestically and internationally since 1972. Tri Tool Inc. produces heavy-duty pipeline
machinery, automatic welding systems and provides on-site machining and welding services to a variety of industries
including oil and gas exploration and production, nuclear and fossil fuel power plants, chemical, pulp and paper, and similar heavy industries.
Tri Tool offers excellent compensation and benefits including medical, vision, and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, a
401(k) plan with generous employer match vacation, sick and holidays. Please visit our website at www.tritool.com for more
information about Tri Tool's products and services
Successful completion of the pre-employment physical, drug/alcohol testing and criminal background investigation required following offer of employment. DMV clearance may be required.