Geological Advisor 7/14/2018
Laredo Petroleum, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY SUMMARY STATEMENT:
The role of the Geological Advisor is to assess and review exploration, appraisal and development plays in order to optimize Laredo's company strategy. Principal job duties as a member of the Exploration & Geosciences Technology Team are to characterize the subsurface geology, develop exploration concepts, delineate economic play extents and mitigate risk through incorporating all available subsurface data types. Success in this role will require collaboration with other departments including operations and engineering. The position will require the integration of large quantities of both publicly available and proprietary geological, petrophysical and geophysical data. Being a team-player in a fast-paced environment is fundamentally important to the incumbents' success in this role.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Draw on a broad spectrum of regional exploration skills and knowledge to make high quality technical recommendations.
* Develop geological models and interpretations from subsurface data to guide regional exploration and appraisal programs
* Review rock and petrophysical data to identify key geologic parameters linked to well productivity
* Collaborate closely with ongoing sequence stratigraphic assessments of Laredo's existing acreage position, integrating interpretations within a consistent framework
* Recommend opportunities for leasing, acquisition and drilling to management, maturing prospects to drill-ready status incorporating the appropriate quality control
* Continuously improve geological workflows to facilitate detailed reservoir characterization, including facies, rock type and sequence stratigraphic framework as appropriate
* Work with petrophysicists, geophysicists, geologists, geotechs and engineers to integrate multiple data types into descriptive reservoir models
* Integrate key engineering (including production & completions) data into geological analysis
* Collaborate and integrate work into Laredo's proprietary geocellular modeling and multivariate analytics workflows
* Participate in building and updating technical work plans, keeping management apprised of project status
* Apply latest techniques and technology to advance geological expertise at Laredo
* Mentor geoscience staff as necessary on techniques and workflows
* Advise manager on value adding potential projects, workflows and techniques
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Bachelor Degree in Geology required
* Master's degree in Geology, Geophysics, or associated Petroleum Geosciences preferred
* Minimum 12+ years' experience
* Permian Basin experience preferred
* Proven oil-finder in unconventional plays, with the ability to integrate and assimilate all available data (of various types, ages and sources) into a valid, reliable and consistent interpretation
* Integrate structural framework, uncertainty analysis, geophysical and petrophysical data into geological analysis.
* Experienced in interpretation of both conventional and unconventional reservoirs
* Interpersonal skills to participate in dynamic team projects in an integrated team environment
* Ability to work multiple diverse sources of data
* Can accomplish goals, objectives, drive business results, taking personal responsibility for decisions and actions
* Excellent presentation and communication skills
* Experience with unconventional regional play assessments
This position is primarily an office position where work is normally performed in a climate controlled environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. No environmental hazards are encountered in performance of normal job duties. Some travel may be required but will likely be less than 10% of total responsibilities.
Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboard at moderate skill level. Work may require some pushing, pulling, or carrying of objects weighing up to 20 pounds, such as files, documents or boxes. Work involves sitting in an office environment most of the time but may involve standing and walking for brief periods. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information.