Geophysicist, Advisor 7/14/2018
Laredo Petroleum, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The role of the Geophysicist Advisor as a member of the Exploration & Geosciences Technology Team is to integrate geophysical data into the assessment of exploration, appraisal and development plays in order to optimize Laredo's acreage position. Success in this role will require frequent collaboration with other departments including operations and engineering. The position will require the integration of large quantities of both publicly available and proprietary geological, petrophysical and geophysical data. Being a team-player is fundamentally important to the incumbents' success in this role.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Work independently with minimal supervision to conduct seismic mapping, fault interpretation & attribute analysis
* Analyze & review pre-stack seismic data for reprocessing and inversion studies as necessary
* Collaborate closely with ongoing sequence stratigraphic assessment of LPI's assets, integrating interpretations within a consistent asset-wide sequence stratigraphic framework
* Assist with development planning, working closely with engineering and operations, to optimize well targeting and provide geoscience support throughout the well approval process
* Participate in ongoing Geocellular Modeling effort, including support on inversion interpretation and multivariate analytics
* Lead microseismic acquisition planning & analysis. Work with team to integrate microseismic data with various other datasets to gain insights into fracture geometries and variations in completion designs
* Support exploration and/or A&D efforts as necessary
* Participate in creating work plans and continuously update them, keeping management apprised of project status
* Apply latest techniques and technology to advance geophysical expertise at Laredo
* Advise manager on potential projects, workflows and techniques to fully characterize LPI's asset
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* B.S. Degree & Master's degree in Geophysics, and associated Petroleum Geosciences
* 10-15 years' experience minimum
* Experience working with vendors with seismic data processing QC and Inversion
* Advanced seismic techniques including pre-stack inversion, AVO modeling, multivariate statistics, neural networks, seismic attribute analysis, statistics & analytics preferred
* Experience in microseismic acquisition & analysis preferred
* Proficient in Kingdom, Petrel and Transform software platforms preferred
* Experience in interpretation of unconventional reservoirs
* Experience in applied petrophysics in unconventional reservoirs preferred
* Interpersonal skills to participate in dynamic team projects in an integrated team environment
This position is primarily an office position where work is normally performed in a climate controlled environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. No environmental hazards are encountered in performance of normal job duties. Some travel may be required but will likely be less than 10% of total responsibilities.
Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboard at moderate skill level. Work may require some pushing, pulling, or carrying of objects weighing up to 20 pounds, such as files, documents or boxes. Work involves sitting in an office environment most of the time but may involve standing and walking for brief periods. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information.