Maintenance Apprentice 7/25/2018
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY MAINTENANCE APPRENTICE
Location: Iola, KS United States
Job Type: Direct Hire
Driven by Possibility
Gates Corporation is a leading manufacturer of application-specific fluid power and power transmission solutions. At Gates, we are driven to push the boundaries of materials science to engineer products that continually exceed expectations.
We don t rest on our rich heritage of innovation. We leverage it to inspire solutions that will power the next hundred years. We invest continually in R&D and technology, so our products not only outperform industry standards; they exceed our customers demanding expectations. We invest in our people, bringing real-world experience that enables us to solve our customers diverse challenges of today and anticipate those of tomorrow. And we are constantly expanding our product catalog and value-added service offerings to support every facet of our customers operations. In the most extreme environments and those more familiar, Gates is there with the right product, in the right place at the right time. Whether building original equipment or maintaining products in the aftermarket, we enable companies in every industry to be more efficient, productive, and profitable.
We are Gates.
The maintenance apprentice will help perform and manage all plant maintenance activities. These include preventive maintenance, breakdowns, equipment installation, and troubleshooting. The maintenance apprentice must have good mechanical skills and have high standards of excellence. Mechanical aptitude and ability to learn new tasks. This is an exceptionally challenging position and can be an extremely high pressure. During equipment downtime situations you will be expected to stay until the equipment is up and running as maintaining production is critical. Works under immediate supervision, primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.
* Help perform and manage all plant maintenance activities:
* Preventative maintenance
* Equipment installation
Keys to Success:
* Good mechanical skills
* High standard of excellence
* Mechanical aptitude
* Ability to learn new tasks
* Minimum of 1 year of experience in a manufacturing environment, preferred
* Must be knowledgeable of OSHA safety requirements, especially those related to electrical and mechanical operations and components
* Possess a thorough knowledge of pneumatic, hydraulic, electro-mechanical and other mechanical devices
* Ability to handle multiple tasks, have excellent attention to detail, and be willing and able to learn new technologies quickly
* Ability to successfully interact and work with individuals at multiple levels of responsibility in a production environment
* Willingness to work beyond core business hours if necessary, to minimize production interruption during planned or unplanned maintenance
* Have (demonstrated) solid verbal and written communication skills.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and Word
* Ability to work in a team environment; acceptance of established standards
* Understanding of mechanical systems; willingness to work with hand tools
* Ability to stand, lift, bend, twist, walk, and reach frequently
* Must have the ability to lift and/or move up to 75 lbs. with assistance
* Ability to work in varied temperatures consistent with same climate conditions of the region (Heat, humidity, etc.)
* Valid driver s license
* Able to work a flexible schedule that may include overtime, evenings and weekends.
* Must be able to work 40 hours per week plus overtime unless hired as part time or temporary
* Ability to work in extreme heat
* Ability to work in noisy areas
* Operation of a fork truck (in plant training) Valid State Driver s License Required
* Basic knowledge of computers (in plant training)
* Standing/Walking on concrete for 8 to 12 hours
* Lifting of up to 50 lbs
* Lifts to waist and to chest, some overhead lifting
* Continuous bending and stretching
* Pushing, straight pulling or handover hand pulling in excess of 50 lbs
* Some work may be repetitive in nature
* Stooping and/or twisting
* Climbing may be necessary
* Iola has a hearing conservation program in operations. This program is managed in compliance with OSHA guidelines and requires all employees to wear hearing protection while on the operations floor.
* Ability to work in extreme heat
Please be advised that Gates Corporation does not accept resumes from third-party recruiters.
Gates Corporation is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of gender, race, color, religion, age, disability, pregnancy, citizenship, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran status or any other protected class defined by state or local law.
Gates Corporation is an Affirmative Action employer.