Senior Technician (Discovery Team), Cell Biology - New York, NY 7/26/2018
New York, NY
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Firmenich is the largest private company in the Fragrance & Flavors industry, founded in 1895 in Geneva, Switzerland.
Led by our passion for taste and smell, we put our creativity and innovation to work to develop fragrances and flavors for the world s most desirable brands, delighting billions of consumers every day.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN (DISCOVERY TEAM) CELLULAR BIOLOGY
We are seeking an enthusiastic, detail-oriented candidate to join a multi-disciplinary team working on a program in the chemical senses. The incumbent will join a discovery team in New York City investigating signal transduction pathways involved in chemo-sensation. The main responsibilities include equipment and laboratory maintenance, generating plasmid stocks, and maintaining cell culture. The qualified individual will also have the opportunity to assist in assay development and optimization, and be accountable for downstream applications such as high-throughput screening campaigns. Basic knowledge in general biology and/or biochemistry is required. Broad experience in molecular and/or cellular biology techniques is preferred. The successful candidate must also be comfortable working as part of a team and possess the flexibility to adapt to changing team needs.
* Assist in laboratory maintenance (stock common supplies, autoclave glassware, upkeep laboratory equipment, and prepare common buffers and cell culture media).
* Maintain DNA library (cloning and plasmid generation).
* Maintain and prepare mammalian cell lines for assay implementation.
* Provide assistance to team members during key experimental activities and operate standard equipment/procedures independently.
* Participate in lab meetings and discussions.
* Maintain proper laboratory records.
* Support documentation for MSDS and Standard Operating Procedures.
* Maintain high safety standards within the lab.
* M.S. in Biology, or related field, with 2+ years experience in an academic or industry R&D laboratory, or B.S. in Biology, or related field, with 5+ years experience.
* Proficiency with molecular and/or cellular biology techniques.
* Maintains concise, accurate records and is highly organized.
* Ability and motivation to quickly acquire new skills and develop creative solutions.
* Spreadsheet, presentation and word processing software proficiency.