Rig Manager 7/28/2018
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DESCRIPTION
Midland, TX, US
Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC, through its substantial fleet of land-based drilling rigs, provides comprehensive drilling solutions to major and independent oil and gas companies.
The Rig Manager is responsible for every aspect of daily rig operations and supervises all employees working on the rig as well as drilling activities and rig equipment. This includes compliance with Company policies, rules and regulations, ensuring that employees and onsite personnel are working safely, planning maintenance and minimizing rig down time. The Rig Manager provides leadership, safety compliance and direction in resolving operational and personnel issues. The Rig Manager is also responsible for planning and directing drilling operations, rig moves, as well as regular communication with Company personnel, third parties and Customer representatives.
The successful candidate will: set high standards of performance for themselves and others; be professional in written, verbal and personal actions in any situation; seek new knowledge and experiences; have an analytical mindset that can utilize factual data to develop creative and business-oriented solutions; be self- aware and adjust accordingly to different environments and audiences
This role performs under the direction of the Drilling Superintendent.
* Provide leadership to ensure safety of all onsite personnel with goal of working incident-free
* Supervision, direction and training of drilling rig crew members including compliance with all safety and operational procedures
* Management of rig operations, production, maintenance, costs and personnel to the meet the Company s business objectives
* Understand Comprehensive Rig Inspection (CRI) criteria and strive for continual improvement by regularly inspecting and maintaining rig and equipment
* Initiate and foster productive partnership with Customer representative
* Understand and use basic management concepts and principles including delegation, motivation, discipline, goal setting and performance evaluation
* Efficiently and proficiently operate and maintain rig equipment by planning preventative maintenance including necessary replacement supplies
* Anticipate, quickly troubleshoot and resolve operational, equipment and maintenance issues to minimize rig downtime
* Adhere to Company policies, guidelines and work requirements
* Promote a diverse and inclusive work environment where employees of all backgrounds feel included and their contributions are valued
* Promptly address and resolve concerns and disputes among team members and customers with the goal of building a stronger, more cohesive work group
* Plan daily rig operations with Driller and Customer representative
* Lead pre- and post-tour meetings including crew fit-for-duty evaluations
* Fill in for Driller or other rig-based employees as needed
* Work independently and prioritize tasks while managing distractions
* Responsibility for Company resources, equipment, and personnel
* Read / write emails and prepare daily rig paperwork including status reports and other business matters related to rig operations
* Plan and supervise rig moves including rig up / down procedures
* Work indoors and outdoors, standing, walking, and sitting, regularly climb steep stairs, walk on slick and uneven surfaces
* While performing the job, will be required to lift/carry, pull/push, reach, squat, kneel, and or climb ladders or stairs
* Exerting 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects
* Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around work environment with many moving objects
* Clear vision to judge near and far distances to maintain awareness of, watch, and direct ongoing work activities of employees and third parties
* Ability to read, write and speak English to the extent needed to understand verbal and written instructions and to give clear verbal and written instructions in English to direct rig employees and third parties as well as communicate with Customer representatives
* This job requires an irregular sleep pattern, as the Rig Manager needs to be available to observe and direct specified drilling procedures as well as resolve unanticipated rig operational, equipment or maintenance issues
* Wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times
* Demonstrated ability to successfully complete duties of all rig crew positions (Floorhand, Motorhand, Derrickhand and Driller)
* Must possess strong computer skills (.e.g., reports, email, spreadsheets, graphs, etc.)
* Must be able to utilize standard formulas and basic mathematical equations to compute and report various rig operation metrics
* Must be able to verbally communicate directions and expectations effectively to the rig crew and third parties
* Meet the requirements to drive a Company vehicle
Demonstrated ability in the following leadership competencies:
* Builds and Maintains Effective Relationship
* Develops Self and Others
* Builds Effective Teams
* Courageous Leadership
* Managing Vision and Purpose
* Business Acumen
* Drive for Results
* Customer focus
* Decision Quality
* High School Diploma or GED
* 3 years of rig-based work experience
* Internal candidates will need 1 year experience as a Driller
* External candidates will need 1 year of Rig Manager experience
* Experience as a Driller or Rig Manager on an SCR/AC/VFD style rig
* Supervisory Well Control or to complete Supervisory Well Control course within 14 days of start date
* CPR/First Aid
* Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) Safety Training
* Advanced education (e.g., college, trade school, etc.)
* 5 years of rig-based work experience
* 1-2 years of Rig Manager experience on an SCR/AC/VFD style rig
This position requires work both indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions, including precipitation, cold / heat, high wind, and turbulent conditions. The Rig Manager will be regularly exposed to the typical conditions of the local area where the rig is located. Southern states generally experience hot summers where temperatures range from 80 to low 100 with high humidity; winters have temperatures that generally do not go below 20 . Northern states generally have hot summers with similar conditions and have cold, windy winters, with low temperatures that can be as cold as -40 .
The Rig Manager must work with an emphasis on safety for themselves and others including coworkers and third parties. They must be able to work closely with others assigned to the drilling rig and will live onsite in designated quarters. They must be willing to work a hitch, which consists of 14 days on / 14 days off, that will include days and nights and as well as weekends and holidays.
How To Apply
To apply, click the "apply now" button at the lower right hand corner of the screen and follow the directions.
Employing subsidiaries of Patterson-UTI Energy, Inc. (Patterson-UTI) are equal opportunity employers and maintain a drug-free workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected under state, federal, or local law.
Amount of Travel
Work At Home.