Engineering Manager- Current Products 7/28/2018
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Tennant is a recognized leader in designing, manufacturing and marketing solutions for industrial and commercial markets, with more than $1 billion in annual revenues. With a vision to become a global leader in water-based sustainable cleaning and other technologies, Tennant creates innovative solutions, such as our ec-H2O products, that are changing the way the world cleans.
Tennant employees work to create a cleaner, safer, healthier world. Tennant is a company that cares about what it's doing, and the sustainability of its products, and works every day to develop new solutions that clean exceptionally well, but don't damage the environment. Employees of Tennant Company work with a spirit of Stewardship. Very simply, Stewardship is a filter for our actions and decision-making, as we strive to leave things in better condition than when we found them.
The Engineering Manager- Current Products (CPE) role will have the opportunity to lead a team of engineers and designers that supports both Product Sustainment and Custom Solutions activities on Tennant products. They will drive continuous improvement on production products including design for manufacturability and assembly (DFM/DFA), production / line-down support, supply chain support, corporate initiatives, sales support, regulatory compliance, part obsolescence among others. Additionally this role will lead the Custom Solutions team that delivers customer specific solutions meeting the needs of their unique applications. This role will lead a technical team to ensure that CPE designs meet critical customer requirements with regard to functionality, performance, cost, manufacturability, reliability and serviceability. Our innovation focus and the complexity of our products provides an exciting opportunity to lead and mentor on a broad range of analysis and design applications.
* Lead a team of engineers and designers accountable for product design, development, and validation efforts for multiple electro-mechanical CPE projects
* Manage activities of product design engineers and designers to meet project cost, performance, and timing commitments
* Lead implementation of engineering standard practices for continuous improvement of the Current Product Development Process
* Work with Operations, Program Management, Service, Sales, other engineering leaders to define and drive continuous improvements in our products
* Select, train, develop and provide performance feedback to department personnel
* Provide input on design and participate in the research and development of Custom Solutions for our customers
* Manage day to day activities, maintaining and reporting performance reviews and driving project deliverables
* Provides leadership and expertise to the department in the following disciplines:
* Project management
* Design development
* Mechanical engineering analysis
* Product lifecycle management (PLM)
* Test and validation methods and tools
* Bachelor s Degree in an engineering discipline
* Minimum of 10 years of experience
* Master s degree in engineering or business preferred
* Minimum of 5 years of engineering project and/or people management
* Thorough understanding of product design development and processes
* Experience selecting, training, and deploying engineering tools.
* Examples include CAD, 8D, DFMEA, free-body diagrams, simulation and FEA.
* Six sigma black belt preferred
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively in fast-paced, innovative and dynamic team environment
* Demonstrated ability to create a sense of common purpose through strong strategic direction and implementation
* Demonstrated ability to partner with internal and external customers
* Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and drive rigor within the technical team responsible for the design and development of new products.
* High level of analytical ability for difficult / complex technical problems, including demonstrated ability to lead and coach teams through problem solving.
* Demonstrated ability to provide timely and ongoing feedback, training, and coaching to Engineering staff enabling career development of the team.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively plan and manage a team of resources to meet deliverables across multiple new product development programs
* Thorough knowledge of Engineering fundamentals and their application to both the design and analysis of mechanical systems within new product development.
* Experience in computer aided modeling, six sigma, mechanical analysis and FEA tools.
* Ability to interact and communicate effectively with internal and external cross-functional partners including all levels of managements, technical and nontechnical.
* Ability to assume a leadership role in product design and to provide a climate that promotes innovation and creativity
Equal Opportunity Employer
Tennant Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made on the basis of individual skill, ability, reliability, productivity, and other factors important to performance. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or any other basis protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.