RN - 23060 7/28/2018
Potomac Valley Hospital
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Description
Job Title : Registered Nurse (23060)
Department : Nursing
Reports To: Director/Manager
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Date: August 2015
Bachelors of Science in Nursing Degree (BSN) preferred. OR
Associates of Science in Nursing Degree (ASN) or Diploma, currently enrolled in a BSN program and BSN completed within 5 years of hire preferred
Current West Virginia licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse or a Graduate Nurse with a current West Virginia temporary practice permit. The Graduate nurse must obtain licensure within 60 days of hire (may not be waived).
The professional registered nurse has the authority, responsibility, and shift accountability for the delivery of nursing care through the use of the nursing process. The Registered Nurse accepts accountability, applies competent clinical knowledge skills, and uses independent nursing judgment for care provided by self and by health care providers to who care is delegated to achieve quality patient care outcomes.
The Registered Nurse must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care that is relevant to the patient(s) under their care, as well as apply principles of growth and development over the life span. The Registered Nurse also must possess the ability to assess and interpret patient data needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs.
This position requires an individual demonstrating the following behaviors in accordance with our mission, vision, and values for nursing practice:
Care Delivery Systems: Use of competent clinical practice and critical thinking skills to efficiently deliver patient care with all health care providers while maximizing efficient use of resources.
Leadership: Possesses the interpersonal skills to positively and effectively communicate, negotiate, and resolve conflict.
Professional Growth: Motivation and drive for continuous development of self.
Collaborative Practice: Cooperatively interacts with the health care team to support and contribute to the shared group goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
* Assumes responsibility, displays appropriate use of authority and accepts accountability in the delivery of patient care.
* Provides direct patient care within a designated shift, based on the nursing process and within role/scope of practice.
* Implements appropriate clinical decisions and demonstrates appropriate use of expert peers and/or management, as applicable.
* In response to data indicating commonly occurring risks to patient health status, initiates actions to correct, reduce and/or prevent risk.
* Provides coordinated and comprehensive patient care including assessment, expected outcomes, nursing interventions and evaluation within an interdisciplinary team approach.
* Negotiates the patient care tasks with family/patient within safe practice guidelines. Appropriately delegates patient care tasks to assigned personnel; providing follow-up for completion and patient response.
* Accepts accountability and uses independent nursing judgment for care provided by self and by health care providers to who care is delegated.
* Demonstrates the appropriate use of standards, effective use of resources, and evaluation of patient response in the delivery of patient care.
* Uses standards of care and standards of practice to guide care delivery.
* Bases decisions made/actions taken on relevant scientific principles, established standards of care and/or research findings. Seeks assistance/credible resource when unable to perform safely and independently.
* Performs evaluation of patient response to tasks performed and delegated.
* Determines/revises priorities for direct/indirect patient care activities based on patient acuity and available resources.
* Uses established patient care support systems including documentation, communication, & information.
* Assumes responsibility for the development of others.
* Engages in mentoring and networking activities to promote professional development.
* Fosters the integration of staff and/or students into the health care team. Facilitates incorporation of the unit's mission, values, and vision.
* Functions to promote trusting relationships and open, honest communication at the unit level.
* Engages in exchange of information relevant to specific patient assignment.
* Interacts with various members of the health care team to meet patient care needs.
* Participates in Performance Improvement activities as appropriate.
* Other duties/programs as assigned.
Performance Standard: Adheres to the established Performance Expectations for WVUH Employees in the areas of People, Service, Performance Improvement, Shared Values & Culture.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The environmental factors and fundamental physical requirements essential to perform all the expected and potential duties of the Registered Nurse role are as follows:
* Heavy/Hard work: Work requires strength and/or stamina, lifting, moving, stooping, reaching,
positioning of patients, standing, walking, carrying of patients, materials and equipment weighing
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Working closely with others
* Protracted or irregular hours
* Working around biohazards
* Working around infectious diseases
* Working with or near the deceased
* Working with hands in water
* Electrical hazards associated with patient care equipment
* Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
* Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm.
* The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)