Menlo Park, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm. Our multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, physicians, and regulatory consultants brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve complicated problems facing corporations, insurers, government entities, associations and individuals. Our approximately 1000 staff members work in 26 offices across the United States and abroad. Exponent has over 800 consultants, including more than 500 that have earned a doctorate in their chosen field of specialization.
Exponent's Materials & Corrosion Engineering Practice is currently hiring an Associate in our Menlo Park, CA office. This individual will work as a part of a team conducting materials and metallurgical failure analyses, with a particular emphasis on mechanically-driven failure mechanisms such as fracture, deformation, fatigue, and/or wear. Duties will include communicating effectively with other engineers and technicians, managers, clients, and administrative reports as well as conducting hands-on failure analysis, planning and executing laboratory tests, attending field inspections, and performing materials characterization..
Qualifications for this position include:
* Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to work within project teams with a strong desire to contribute
* Specialized knowledge of materials characterization in one or more of the following areas is required: mechanical testing (quasi-static, fatigue, creep, fracture toughness), microscopy (SEM, FIB, TEM), compositional analysis (FTIR, EDS) and/or structure-property analysis (DSC, DMA, TMA)
* Specialized knowledge of the mechanical behavior of polymeric materials is desired
To learn more about life at Exponent, check out our Graduate Students page at www.exponent.com/careers/grad-students!
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity, Veterans and Disabled Employer.