Junior Software Developer 6/4/2020
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Applied Research Associates, Inc. is looking for software developers to join our multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists in the Capital Area Division, located in Alexandria, VA. The ideal candidates have a passion for creating software that makes others more efficient at the work they need to accomplish. The candidate will have an eye for security while not losing focus on the job the software system needs to support. Software and systems created will support a Department of Homeland Security customer as it tests and evaluates hardware and software systems to safeguard the nation's borders and interior from chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive materials, equipment, technologies, and their actors. Developers will work with scientists and engineers to define system requirements that will satisfy operational requirements. Software will be developed to support different networks at a variety of classification levels. Systems will be created and enhanced to integrate other software components and automate workflows to include data analysis and validation.
This position is contingent upon award of a contract expected in Summer 2020 supporting the Department of Homeland Security.
* Strong programming capabilities in C++, JAVA, or other high level language
* Experience developing software as part of a team
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer engineering, Software Engineering, or related field
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
* Experience using software development tools such as Team Foundation Server, Eclipse, and Jira
* Experience as part of a team using agile, scrum, or similar rapid development cycles
* Experience using heterogeneous database systems such as MongoDB
* Experience with mathematical or statistical analysis applications
* Experience creating dashboards to display and convey analysis data
* Experience deploying software on classified, US Government systems
* Active DoD Secret or Top Secret clearance, DoE Q clearance, or DHS Suitability
* Masters Degree in Computer Science or related field
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1200 professionals. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The culture is challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company's success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The motto, "Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit" sums up the ARA experience. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at www.ara.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)",
Education: Computer Science