Junior Specialist - Martinez-Cerdeno Lab 6/3/2020
University of California-Davis
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY RECRUITMENT PERIOD
Open date: June 2nd, 2020
Last review date: Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
JR SPECIALIST- Dr. Martinez-Cerdeno Lab
This position provides research support to the laboratory of Dr. Mart nez-Cerde o at the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine for research on the anatomy of the brain in autism. Experience with human brain tissue is required.
The position of Junior Specialist has a narrow focus in a specialized area and provides technical or specialized expertise (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment, or with research methods) in the planning and execution of a research project. Junior Specialists are required to be actively and significantly involved in publishable research activities, including reviewing journal articles and engaging in discussions on research and the interpretation of research results. Junior Specialists are also expected to participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations as well as review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications as applicable related to their research area of expertise. The Junior Specialist will serve the public and University by mentoring students, interns, and volunteers on lab operations and projects.
* Assist with duties related to rodent care and handling, human tissue and cell culture, and histological evaluation of human brain structure for research on the anatomy of the brain in autism.
* Responsible for keeping track of laboratory supplies, placing orders to purchase supplies and equipment, maintaining a database of all laboratory supplies and purchases for research .
* Perform basic histological procedures including Nissl and immunostaining for proteins related to brain functioning in human brain tissue.
* Assist the PI in study design, collection and interpretation of data
* Contribute to the writing and review of a manuscripts.
* Design new protocols and optimize ongoing research protocols
* Participate in teaching research protocols and the experimental method to undergraduate and graduate students in the laboratory.
* Maintain a clean and orderly working environment in the laboratory and will help or aid other lab members in the performance of their work.
PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE (10%)
* The incumbent will have opportunities to develop presentation abilities in laboratory meetings and the departmental meeting and other on-campus events.
* The incumbent will be encouraged to read appropriate literature and discuss during laboratory meetings.
* The incumbent will be encouraged to have membership with appropriate societies and participate in appropriate meetings and groups on-campus.
* The incumbent will serve as a key coordinator in large scale collaboration for studies in the Dept. of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Clinical Chemistry and Point-of-Care Testing Sections
UNIVERSITY SERVICE (10%)
* Mentorship of undergraduate students including summer interns in the Dept. of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, as well as rotating biomedical students.
* Bachelor degree in biological sciences or a related field
* Previous demonstrated experience in studying brain tissue
* Proficient computer skills including spreadsheet and database software
* Ability to work with rodent tissue, human tissue and human cell lines
* Flexible to changing demands of research tasks
* Professional approach to work and attention to detail
* Ability to review literature and follow the exact protocols of others
* Enthusiastic in learning new lab skills
Step I - $40,700 Annually, 100% FTE
Number of Positions Available: 1
Term of Appointment:
One year with possibility to extend. Non-Exempt appointment based on the needs of the research project. 100% Appointment.
Cover Letter, CV (Required) or Resume, and Contact Information for 3-5 references (Required) to https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF03510.
This posting will remain open until filled through 11/27/2020.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
UC Davis is a smoke- and tobacco-free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any property owned or leased by UC Davis-- indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCD positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
* 3-5 required (contact information only)