Labor Relations Supervisor 5/6/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2017 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Labor Relations Supervisor with our Chemical Plant located in Geismar, Louisiana.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
* Establishes and maintains contact and positive relationships with employees.
* Responsible for having an in-depth knowledge of the labor contract and advising plant management in the administration of the labor contract.
* Researches and processes grievances through arbitration.
* Responsible for the preparation for contract negotiations including costing, drafting proposals
* Counsels employees, supervisors and managers on confidential matters.
* Administers Human Resources policies, advises/counsels plant management and employees regarding company policies and procedures.
* Generates, maintains and provides reports as required.
* Initiates and assists in the development and presentations of programs which address important goals of the plant such as supervisory and employee development and promoting positive employee relations.
* Researches, advises actions, and assists in corrective employee behavior and disciplinary action.
* Coordinates plant projects as assigned or requested by the Human Resources Manager or Plant Manager.
* Manages the technician salary/wage program. Participates in approved salary surveys affecting all nonexempt and hourly employees.
* Directs and aids in the preparation of all plant position descriptions. Provides preliminary evaluation of new or revised position descriptions according to plant and company guidelines.
* Interviews and participates in the recruitment and selection of nonexempt and hourly employees, determines applicant qualifications and makes the appropriate recommendations concerning offers of employment, and audits performance of newly hired employees.
* Conducts exit interviews with employees to determine the underlying reasons for termination of employment, also determines employee attitudes toward the company, supervisor, etc.
* Bachelor's degree in Labor/Industrial Relations, HR Management or related degree.
* 3 years of experience in Labor Relations.
* Strong leadership, facilitation, team building and process improvement skills.
* High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
* Familiarity with HR analytics/reporting/software in order to support and drive logical and informed decision-making.
* Experience with HRIS systems such as PeopleSoft preferred.
* High level of emotional intelligence with ability to identify and manage interactions at all levels of the organization by altering their approach based on situation and individuals involved.
* Proficiency in completing workplace investigations, including conducting interviews, collecting evidence, documenting and recommending path forward.
* Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve conflict.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Physical requirements Must be able to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
* Must be open to relocation for subsequent opportunities.
* Experience in a chemical manufacturing environment a plus.
OXY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/INDIVIDUAL WITH DISABILITY/VETERAN STATUS