Lead, Data Quality 8/2/2020
Duquesne Light Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Duquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to creating a culture of inclusion. We value and respect the unique differences and experiences of our employees. We believe that our differences lead to better collaboration, innovation and outcomes. We want you to join our team!
The Lead, Data Quality is a new position within a new department at DLC, Affordability and Innovation Management (AIM). AIM is an organization guided by the DLC Executive Team to identify compelling ideas within the organization that can be used to improve efficiencies and drive value within DLC.
The Lead, Data Quality will be responsible for ensuring the completeness, validity, consistency, timeliness, accuracy and security of data in the data warehouse and Business Intelligence applications. This position will work with both technical and business stakeholders from across the Enterprise to understand data quality issues and devise solutions for improvement.
At DLC this role holds the potential for high impact to the business as it will identify data quality issues and work to implement permanent solutions through fixing the root cause. Reporting to the Director, Business Analytics, the Lead, Data Quality will identify opportunities for training, automation and process improvement.
The individual will have responsibility for developing relationships and effective partnerships with all parts of the organization to improve data quality.
Roles at this level require industry specific experience. Roles at this level typically require a university / college degree. With 7+ years of relevant experience. Certifications are often required. Relevant experience in a cross-organizational team will be critical. Proven experience interacting with cross-business units preferred. Ideally the applicant will have experience with a highly capital-intensive industry.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS:
Effective candidates will demonstrate a diverse set of skills and behaviors;
The ideal candidate will have the following skills
* Data background. Demonstrated quantitative skills - including working knowledge of IT infrastructure, various technologies/ platforms, and aligned vendor solutions and the capabilities they bring.
* Business perspective. Knowledge at the intersection of financial, operational and customer domains to drive business value, as well as awareness of the regulatory environment
* DMAIC. An understanding of the DMAIC improvement cycle.
* Analytical mindset. Demonstrated quantitative and data analysis skills, including exception handling and scorecarding. Experience with SQL or another programing language is a plus.
* Communication skills. Ability to engage cross-functional stakeholders, clearly communicate business needs, and educate about the embedded value of the initiatives being identified and implemented. Experience with Power BI or similar visualization tools is a plus.
* Domain experience. Institutional knowledge of the industry, including a thorough understanding of the utility business model, critical operations, customer interactions, and other external and internal stakeholder expectations and needs.
The candidate will demonstrate the following behaviors:
* Enthusiastic. Commitment to champion data and insights as a strategic business asset to drive significant improvements across the enterprise.
* Collaborative. Willingness to serve as a "bridge builder" and facilitator to traverse divisional siloes, create synergies between business and technology functions, and align shared efforts to enable measurable business outcomes.
* Agile. Capacity to deliver value to the business quickly and often by applying a pragmatic approach to develop governance and foundational analytic capabilities.
* Disruptive. Willingness to bring up new ideas and uncomfortable subjects, and to counter "not-invented-here" or "not worth the effort" attitudes to drive transformative change.
* Visionary. Strategic foresight to identify new business opportunities, capture any opportunities arising from technology and data advancements, deflect potential problems, and develop innovative, forward-facing capabilities that provide long-term enterprise opportunities.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Lead, Data Quality Specialist will be responsible for:
* Data Governance Partnership: Collaborate with Data Governance to organize and implement policies, procedures, structures, roles, and responsibilities that outline and enforce rules of engagement, decision rights, and the accountabilities for the effective management of data assets, including experiencing writing documentation (i.e. business requirements documentation, use case construction, etc.)
* Master Data: Provide requirements and support implementation of Master Data leveraging a range of tools to implement how to capture, integrate, and share that Master Data information.
* Maximize Data Quality: Support the Business Analytics team to determine the company's current data quality and maturity levels; assist in the development of an enterprise data quality strategy; and reinforce the roadmap for measurable data quality improvement across the enterprise.
* Navigate Structured and Unstructured Data: Undertake an inventory of all data, determining its format, security, ownership, and quality. The result could be new storage needs. Collaborate with the Business Analytics team to also determine which data should - and shouldn't - be captured.
May coordinate the work flow of a given team. May support the review of work and training of other employees.
Primary Focus is on daily deliverables, outputs and reporting. Typically accountable for managing one's own time and work flow. Responsibilities are generally tactical in nature and work is typically complex in nature requiring the incumbent to draw on previous knowledge to perform role. Has well-established capabilities, acts as a resource to less experienced staff on routine issues.
Problems and issues faced are vague. Draws on significant past experience to perform role. Proficient in the body of knowledge of given discipline or specialty area. Accountable for direct level of reasoning and decision making.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all people in all aspects of the employment relationship, without discrimination because of race, age, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran or any other unlawful basis, as defined by applicable law, and fostering a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, benefits, terms and conditions of employment, opportunities for promotion, transfer, layoffs, return from a layoff, training and development, and other privileges of employment. An integral part of Duquesne Light's commitment is to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concerning equal employment and affirmative action.