Lead Inventory Specialist - Pharmacy 4/24/2020
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Reporting to the Director of Pharmacy Business and Finance and/or the Supply Chain Manager, the Lead Inventory Specialist is responsible for receiving all non-controlled pharmaceuticals and pharmacy supplies. The scope of the Lead Inventory Specialist receiving responsibilities includes the main campus inpatient cost centers, the main campus ambulatory cost centers, the main campus outpatient pharmacy cost centers and the satellite ambulatory cost centers. Additionally, the Lead Inventory Specialist will be responsible for charging, coordinating, and leading delivery of all special orders (from MGH Pharmacy Online Ordering Website) and perform multiple inventory functions. These inventory functions are vital to the Supply Chain performing efficiently (stocking medications, medications recall, returns to wholesaler, etc). The Lead Inventory Specialist must be able to pass both licensure and area specific competences. Also, he/she will supervise three Inventory Specialists and maintain dotted line relationships with the Supply Chain Manager. Among the processes for which the Lead Inventory Specialist has primary responsibility are receiving, weekly cycle counts, semi-annual physical inventories, reverse distribution of expired/unusable drugs, waste & shrinkage monitoring, drug shortages, branded-to-generic conversions, generic-to-generic conversions, and shortages monitoring & mitigation planning.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Supervises a staff of three direct reports (Inventory Specialists), maintains dotted line oversight of one evening shift Lead Technician and one evening shift Technician, receives $ 300M of pharmaceuticals annually
* Oversees pharmaceuticals and supplies coming from multiple vendors (McKesson, Amerisource, Internal Compounding Center, Outside Repackager, etc)
* Supervises weekly cycle counts in the central pharmacy carousels and the main campus and off-campus outpatient pharmacies, schedules and oversees and participates in semi-annual physical inventories in all locations.
* Oversees Delivery of non-Central Inventory medications/items to appropriate area/person (supplies, Clinical Trials items, etc)
* Performs ongoing analysis of cost, item movement, stability, and waste data so as to maintain optimal par levels in Workflow Rx which consists of 4 carousels, Refrig zone, Case zone, Chemo zone, Vault Zone, MFG Zone, etc.
* Creates and maintain regular and executive status reports
* Documents and analyses business processes
* Supports department /functional team with inventory request and inventory cost saving initiative projects
* Track and resolve issues and action items.
* Assists in conducting the semi-annual physical inventory
* Assists in the drug recall process (specifically: checks Central Pharmacy inventory for recalled product when provided recall information)
* Assists in monitoring drug shortages on a daily basis
* Create, maintain and documents standard operations procedures related to inventory management informatics systems.
* Recognizes, communicates, and escalates concerns relevant to inventory management critical path, system issues, and or/timeline in a timely manner
* Create, maintain and monitor MGH drug waste procedures and assist supply Chain Manager in supervising the 3rd party reverse distributors site visits, analyses the returns data available
* Attend production support and post live activities
* Other duties as required
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
Directly supervises and has hire/fire responsibility for three full-time Inventory Specialists
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
* 3 FTEs
* Receiving and integrity (valuation and freshness) of $300M of pharmaceuticals annually
* Primarily computer workstation based
* Moderate lifting, sorting, scanning, stocking required on occasion
* Ability to work and cover for week/weekend shifts
* Strong Customer service skills
* Demonstrated ability to effectively lead teams and support staff in meeting department initiatives/goals
* Advance Microsoft Office skills required
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Strong problem solving and negotiating skills
* Self motivated, independent and possess the ability to learn quickly
* Ability to assimilate new software and understand new software releases and succeed in a changing environment
* Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS (if applicable):
* Must be a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT)
* Valid Massachusetts Board of Pharmacy registration required
* Must be able pass pharmacy department competencies
* High School diploma or GED required, Bachelors Degree preferred
* 3-5 years operations experience in a hospital setting required (preferably acute care)
* Familiarity with pharmacy automated dispensing technologies, including inventory management software, required (Omnicell automated dispensing machine and Omnicell WorkflowRx software experience preferred)
* Familiarity with Epic is a plus
Partners HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.