Lead Systems Software Engineer 5/6/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Lead Systems Software Engineer
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
The Vertica ecosystem team is looking for a senior software engineer or technical lead to help us take our Big Data Analytics Platform to the next level.
A database is only as good as the use cases it enables. Customers rely on us to make their application development productive and frictionless. Our team is responsible for the database libraries, tools, and APIs that developers use to build modern big data applications with Vertica. Our team s work includes database client libraries like JDBC and vertica-python, as well as integrations with complementary data processing systems like Apache Kafka or Spark.
In this role, you will take ownership of multiple libraries, tools and integration projects that help make it easier to build data-driven applications and solutions with data managed by Vertica. Many of these projects will be open source projects developed and managed via GitHub (for example: https://github.com/vertica/vertica-python).
WE NEED A SELF-DIRECTED ENGINEER WHO IS CAPABLE OF SOLVING PROBLEMS IN DIVERSE AREAS, INCLUDING:
* Systems programing
* Distributed Systems
* Developer tooling & middleware
THE RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS THE CANDIDATE SHOULD MEET ARE:
* Bachelor, Masters, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
* 5+ years of experience working full time in a software engineering role
* Strong understanding of data structures, algorithms, and software engineering practices for sustainable development.
* Strong working knowledge of C++ and comfort pivoting between multiple programming languages as needed in specific projects (primarily java, python & golang)
* Excellent communication and project management skills
THE CANDIDATE S RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
* Design and implement enhancements to existing Vertica integration projects
* Define, build and manage new open source integration projects for a variety of database use cases and technologies
* Influence the design of database features and extension points based on the needs of integration projects
* Provide technical leadership and support for junior members of the team by planning major development tasks and conducting thorough design and code reviews
* Support customers and represent the Vertica team in a public setting through open source collaboration and correspondence on GitHub
ABOUT OUR TEAM
The best ideas often come from fresh perspectives. At Vertica, our open-minded, diverse and inclusive team is always learning from each other. We approach intellectually challenging work with a "get it done" attitude. Vertica Engineers are given significant latitude and support to pursue what they are passionate about to make Vertica an even better place. If you are excited about building great technology with a proactive team, you will find yourself in good company at Vertica. Welcome to the family.
ABOUT OUR PRODUCT
Vertica is a recognized leader in analytics powering some of the world s most data driven organizations like Uber, Wayfair, Intuit, Cerner, and more. Our columnar, MPP, distributed database delivers unprecedented speed, petabyte scale, with analytics and machine learning functions built into the core.
We believe the future belongs to the fast. Join us for the ride! #LI-GC2
MICRO FOCUS IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES WILL RECEIVE CONSIDERATION WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION BECAUSE OF RACE, COLOUR, RELIGION, CREED, GENDER, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, MARITAL OR VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENETIC INFORMATION, CITIZENSHIP OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS